BSc (Hons) Product Design Engineering with Foundation Year
Why choose this course?
Are you a creative thinker with a real interest in the technical design of products and how they actually work? Offering a foundation year to build your skills and confidence, this course puts you on the pathway to careers where you can unleash your ideas and specialise in design for the manufacturing sector.
- Begin your journey with a foundation year – the ideal option if you feel you are not quite ready to join the honours degree directly
- Gain recognition from the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED) as a Registered Product Designer (RProdDes) when you graduate: your first step on the pathway to Chartership
- Benefit from the focused support of dedicated and enthusiastic course tutors – thanks to our relatively small class sizes
- Tailor your learning to your individual needs and interests, with optional pathways in either sustainability or materials and manufacturing
- Work on industry-sponsored assignments underpinned by our strong links with employers
- Take the opportunity to go on an optional work placement
- Enjoy classes co-taught with BA (Hons) Product Design and BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering students, exposing you to principles and concepts which broaden your experience and give you the ideal preparation for design roles in manufacturing
- Extend your design perspectives with exciting extracurricular activities such as commercial projects, University-funded research initiatives and involvement in challenges like Formula Student
- Showcase your talent: every year we select graduates to exhibit work at New Designers in London, an excellent opportunity to network and make vital industry contacts
- Boost your employability – we are ranked 15th highest among all UK universities and 12th for English institutions, with 96% of graduates in work or further study within six months of completing their degree: (HESA 2016)
You can also take the BSc (Hons) Product Design Engineering without a foundation year. Find out more.Show All