Product Design courses
Learn how to design better, more attractive products for a sustainable future on our highly practical degree courses.
Creative and innovative, our product design courses will encourage you to push the boundaries of art and science. Whether you want to specialise in furniture design, create eco-friendly products or focus on manufacture, our great industry links mean you’ll be working on projects and assignments set by employers, giving you plenty of real experience. Our courses are highly practical and hands-on, and you’ll spend most of your time in the studio and workshop, developing 2D and 3D design. Your work will be on display at the University’s Degree Show in your final year. Work is then hand-picked to be displayed at New Designers in London, an excellent opportunity to network and make vital contacts to get you started in your career.
Sam landed his dream job as a Junior Designer working for global brand LEGO!
“Studying the course at the University of Derby helped me develop a very good understanding of the design process and CAD software. Plus I learned new skills in drawing, rendering and presentation which resulted in me landing my childhood dream job as Junior Designer with Lego after graduation.” Read the full interview here.
Learn how to design better, more attractive products for a sustainable future.
- Our BA Product Design and BSc Product Design Engineering courses are accredited by the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED) so when you graduate you will be recognised as a Registered Product Designer (RProdDes) by the IED. Once you have achieved an RProdDes accredited first degree, you have a pathway to Chartership
- You’ll study in a dedicated product design studio and use a variety of equipment, including a 3D scanner and printer, and industry-standard software packages such SolidWorks and AutoCAD
- You’ll benefit from the expertise of lecturers with years of professional experience in industry
- Work placements can lead to an extra qualification – the Diploma in Professional Practice
We have a dedicated studio for Product Design courses. These creative spaces are used for lectures/ seminars, one to one sessions, group work and presentations to employers.
What our Product Design graduates do
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- product designer
- product design engineer
- 3D designer
- research & development engineer
- packaging/point of sale designer
- manufacturing technologist
- product visualiser
Our graduates have gone on to work for employers including:
- BAE Systems
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: