Reach the top of your game on this pioneering course where you can undertake original research tailored to your personal career goals.
- Build the skills and knowledge to develop your potential and profile as a successful researcher
- Gain first-hand experience by conducting a substantial research project in the sport and exercise discipline of your choice
- Achieve a stand-alone research qualification to enhance your employability or take the next step towards a doctoral degree
- Structure your studies to suit your individual needs: full time or part time, with a blend of online learning and face-to-face contact
- Draw on our partnerships with leading sports teams and sports organisations, including internship opportunities to advance your research
- Take the chance to work as a teaching assistant within the University’s sports department
- Benefit from the expert supervision of influential researchers whose work is breaking new ground in the world of sport and exercise
- Make the most of our high-specification laboratories and our £10.8m sport centre
- Apply now for an exciting internship funded by Leicester City Football Club
Are you a sport and exercise graduate or professional keen to accelerate your career? Would you like to progress to doctoral level studies? This challenging and stimulating MRes puts you on a fast track to success.
A research theme of your choice
Our MRes differs from traditional masters programmes because it places such a strong emphasis on research skills combined with an extensive independent research project.
You’ll work with our academic team and harness our state-of-the-art facilities to produce groundbreaking research into the sport and exercise discipline of your choice. Your findings could make a real difference to the lives of those who take part in sport and exercise – whether at a recreational or elite professional level.
We firmly believe that your studies should support your current and future career aspirations. That’s why you’re encouraged to develop your own learning objectives and to match your studies to an area of interest that you feel passionate about.
If you are interested in completing an internship, Team Derby are offering a fully funded Strength and Conditioning Internship. Please note the closing date is Monday 5 August 2019.
Derby County Football Club are also offering a Performance Analysis Internship - the closing date is Wednesday 31 July 2019.
Each year we advertise a number of internship opportunities where you can work towards your MRes while gaining hands-on experience and industry insights with one of our partners.
You could secure a place with a wide range of sports organisations – from professional football, cricket and rugby clubs to local authority departments promoting public health initiatives. Among the latest opportunities offered were performance analysis and strength and conditioning internships with 2016 Premiership champions Leicester City FC.
There is also the chance to work as a teaching assistant within our sports department, supporting students on our undergraduate programmes.
Support from an expert team
Our academic team has excellent research and teaching credentials, as well as experience of working in applied settings. Their expertise spans everything from sport psychology and physiology to performance analysis, coaching and rehabilitation. It means you will be able to access in-depth knowledge – and latest research findings – in a wide range of subjects.
We pride ourselves on providing exceptional levels of academic and pastoral support within a friendly and encouraging setting. While the course makes use of online learning to help you fit your studies around your other commitments, this is combined with face-to-face contact to ensure you receive guidance throughout.
You’ll conduct your research in our exceptional sport and exercise facilities boasting the latest equipment and software. Our laboratories include technologies such as specialist strength and conditioning equipment and physiological analysis resources. A new 3D motion analysis system and multiple force platforms enable highly accurate and reliable biomechanical analyses to be made.
You can also take full advantage of our award-winning £10.8m multi-purpose sports centre which opened in autumn 2015 to become one of the region’s most iconic sporting venues. It features an impressive sports hall, badminton and squash courts, a 70-station fitness suite with associated strength and conditioning area, a dedicated fitness studio, climbing wall and indoor sprint track. Our outdoor facilities include a 3G all-weather pitch, tennis courts and a rugby pitch.
The course includes 100 credits focused on a discipline of your choice, which are then accompanied by 80 credits on researcher development, as detailed below:
You’ll be able to tailor these modules to the discipline of your choice:
You'll study modules such as:
- Advanced Research Methods (20 credits)
- Digital Scholarship and Research Skills Development (40 credits)
- Independent Research (80 credits) or Independent Study (20 credits - PGDip only)
- Negotiated Module in Science (20 credits)
- Subject-specific Level 6 module of your choice (20 credits)
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
We pride ourselves on our student-centered approach; you will be fully supported by our expert team throughout your studies. Teaching combines online and face-to-face contact.
Sport and Exercise team members have excellent teaching credentials, many are actively involved in research and will share their latest findings with you. For example, Dr Andy Hooton is an expert in sport and exercise psychology and Dr Stuart Mourton focuses on motor control and learning. We have experts in sport and exercise psychology, physiology, nutrition, physical activity and health, strength and conditioning, injury and rehabilitation, biomechanics, performance analysis, coaching, and motor control, to enable you to access guidance in a field of your choice.
Other interests include sports management, and the history and philosophy of sport.
Each year a number of internship opportunities are advertised. These opportunities allow students to complete their MRes whilst gaining real-world experience at a sport organisation. Past MRes internship providers include:
- Derby City Council
- Derby County Community Trust
- Derby County Football Club
- Derbyshire County Cricket Club
- Leicester City Football Club
- Perform at St George’s Park
- West Bromwich Albion Football Club
You'll be assessed through a variety of methods allowing you to show your individual strengths and abilities. These include essays, portfolios, a dissertation, blogs, presentations, and a viva voce.
You’ll require an undergraduate honours degree (upper second or above) in a relevant discipline. Candidates with suitable work experience in the sport and exercise sector may also be considered.
Proposed research projects must reflect the expertise of staff within the department so that they can be properly supported. Project topics are usually discussed in detail as part of the application process to ensure that students can be sure that the project they undertake will be feasible and address novel areas of research.
Additionally, if English is not your first language, you'll need to provide evidence of your proficiency and you will need to hold IELTS 6.0 or above.
2019/20 Fees (August 2019 - July 2020)
£850 per 20 credits*
£850 per 20 credits*
£14,250 for the full programme
*Note – at postgraduate level, you’ll need to gain the following number of credits in total to obtain the awards below.
|Postgraduate Certificate||60 Credits|
|Postgraduate Diploma||120 Credits|
|MA or MSc||180 Credits|
This means you will gain 180 credits in total to complete the full MA or MSc. If you are studying part time you will normally complete your studies over two or three years, depending on the course structure.
Please note that all fees may be subject to annual increase.
Additional costs and optional extras
After completing our MRes Sport and Exercise, you’ll be ideally placed to pursue a research career or any role which involves the planning, collection and analysis of data. This could be in an academic setting, the public sector or a commercial organisation – employers everywhere increasingly value high-level research skills.
As well as research careers, the course paves the way to broader roles within professional sports clubs, community or public health organisations.
In addition, the MRes provides an excellent platform if you would like to continue your learning beyond masters level. Our students often go on to undertake doctoral research to obtain a PhD and your experience on the MRes will smooth your transition to the next level of academic scholarship.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, state-of-the-art facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- If a DBS check is needed for the purposes of a module or programme related work placement, this is included in your fee if done via the University
- Student membership of the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES) for the duration of your studies
- We will contribute to or pay the full cost of additional qualifications which are arranged by us. For other additional qualifications you’re interested in, we may contribute to or fund these but this is at the Sport department’s discretion
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- Two bound copies of Independent Study (dissertation) - approximate cost is £12
- Travel to placements - cost varies depending on your placement venue of choice
- If your placement provider won't accept our University DBS check, you will need to fund the cost - approximate cost is £50
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Optional textbooks or e-books to support your studies - costs for these are dependent on your choice
- You may wish to undertake additional qualifications as part of your studies - costs will vary depending on your choice
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.