The Derby LLM offers maximum flexibility. Available to lawyers and non-lawyers alike, it provides unrivalled choice and opportunity – enabling you to choose from specialist pathways and modules to build a degree that matches your career aspirations, research pursuits and personal interests
- Choose a broad-based LLM programme or specialise in Commercial Law; Corporate and Financial Law; International Protection of Human Rights and Personal Freedom
- Improve your career prospects in one of the UK's top law schools for student satisfaction and success at postgraduate level
- Select the focus of your LLM and study at a time and pace to suit you and your circumstances
- Benefit from our modern approach to teaching law in a global context: you can tailor your coursework and assignments to different jurisdictions, so gaining a truly international flavour of law
- Combine your academic and theoretical knowledge with hands-on skills honed in our superb courtroom facilities
- Learn from our team of expert practitioners whose teaching is delivered with passion and professionalism
- Postgraduate loan available, plus if you’re a Derby graduate you’ll receive an alumni discount.
We have worked with the legal professions, judiciary, prosecution service and police to design the Derby LLM to be fit for the 21st century.
A degree that’s right for you
Our LLM provides unique opportunities to investigate areas that other courses simply do not offer. While it focuses on core aspects of knowledge in law, you can choose from numerous options – for broad-based or highly specialised study – to design a degree that reflects your interests and career ambitions.
The LLM course combines academic and theoretical knowledge. You will develop your understanding of the interaction between law and policy at an international level, enabling you to contribute to organisations and commercial enterprises operating across the global policy arena.
You can choose to study a broad-based general LLM or follow a specific pathway towards a specialist LLM award:
- LLM (Commercial Law) – a chance to study commercial law in a practical, international and contemporary context. Ideal both for lawyers and for professionals engaged in broader commercial practice, this pathway features negotiation and practice-driven modules, equipping you for senior roles in global enterprises.
- LLM (Corporate and Financial Law) – giving you a thorough understanding of how law assists in mediating corporate and financial risk. Covering one of the most challenging and critical areas of law, this pathway focuses on the structures and constitution of corporate entities in light of the external factors which govern their liquidity and capitalisation.
- LLM (International Protection of Human Rights and Personal Freedom) – building your awareness of the human rights regime at international, regional and national levels. Taking a practical approach to the investigation of human rights violations, this pathway prepares you for a rewarding career with organisations working in the human rights field, from law firms to governments and NGOS.
Dedicated to your success
We are committed to providing a rich, rewarding learning experience. You'll be taught by our professional, experienced and knowledgeable teaching team, with real passion for their subjects.
We deliver dedicated academic and pastoral support to every student, and also offer a range of extra-curricular activities, networking opportunities and a vibrant Student Law Society.
Research for the real world
High quality research is at the heart of the LLM. We undertake influential research activities which lead to greater understanding of justice systems and inform legal and professional practice, both nationally and internationally. We have an active Law in Society research group and our staff contribute to growing numbers of publications, conference presentations and journals.
We offer fantastic facilities for the study of law. Described as “exceptional” by Skills for Justice, they replicate environments you will encounter in real-life legal situations. The latest addition is a full reconstruction of a crown court featuring contemporary technology. We were also the first law school in the country to have a family courtroom, which is ideal for specialist training.