- Gain the knowledge, practical skills and problem-solving abilities which are essential for professional acousticians
- Choose to specialise in specific areas of acoustics to reflect your current job role or career aspirations
- Build your professional credibility on a course accredited by the Institute of Acoustics and meet the educational requirements for membership of the Institute
- Study at a leading centre with over 20 years’ experience of delivering acoustics training
Take your interest and skills in acoustics to the next level on this practical and inspiring accredited course.
A boost for your career and promotion prospects
Up to 75% of the students who join this course are already in employment and take the Institute of Acoustics (IOA) Diploma to enhance their career prospects. Many work as pollution control or noise control officers with local authorities, environmental consultancies, architecture and engineering firms.
We also attract students who have just completed their undergraduate degrees and want to broaden their employment options. These students prove to be particularly successful in the job market after completing the IOA Diploma - resulting in 100% employment rates for the course in recent academic years.
The Diploma is useful for individuals from a wide range of professional and academic backgrounds. Over the last decade it has, for instance, become popular with music technologists.
A valuable professional qualification
The Diploma is a sought-after accredited qualification which can lead to Associate Membership of the IOA, regarded as the UK’s leading professional body in acoustics.
The IOA works with educational institutions to ensure the Diploma remains up to date and professionally relevant at all times. Members of our own teaching team take an active role in Institute affairs, serving on its Course and Educational Committees and helping to shape the structure of the Diploma.
As well as providing specialist academic training so that you can satisfy the educational requirements for membership of the IOA, the course can put you on the fast track to a masters degree at the University. It provides partial exemption from the requirements for the award of our MSc Applied Acoustics.
Learn from the experts
We have a strong reputation for delivering high-quality acoustics courses. Derby is currently the largest centre in the Midlands for the IOA Diploma, recruiting around 20 students per academic year who study at our Derby Campus on a Wednesday.
You’ll benefit from the support of our friendly and approachable academic staff. Our teaching team is made up of experienced and research-active acousticians, supported by locally-based consultants who deliver guest lectures on specialist themes.
Pursue your specialist interests
As part of the course, you can choose to focus on specific areas of acoustics, with specialist modules in Building Acoustics; Regulation and Assessment of Noise; Environmental Noise: Prediction, Measurement and Control; and Noise and Vibration Control Engineering. You will also undertake an individual research study exploring an aspect of acoustics which particularly interests you or which will aid your career progress.
You'll study core modules such as:
- General Principles of Acoustics - You’ll explore the nature and behaviour of sound and vibration, its measurement and noise indices, response of humans to sound and vibration, basics of room acoustics, and the principles of noise control engineering
- Laboratory and Experimental methods - This module develops the practical and vocational skills that are essential for the professional acoustician, it also includes exercises which support some of the basic principles introduced in the General Principles of Acoustics module
- Project - This module is an opportunity for students to carry out an individual research study in a specific area of acoustics. The project can be work-based
The specialist modules provide an opportunity for students to focus in a specific area of acoustics. Students take a further two specialist modules from the following:
- Building Acoustics - The Building Acoustics module considers the acoustical parameters that define the sound quality in a space, and reviews a selection of case studies, including theatres and teaching spaces
- Regulation and Assessment of Noise - The module focuses on the legislative aspects and the Standards and Guidance documents in acoustics
- Environmental Noise: Prediction, Measurement and Control - This module focuses on the main sources of outdoor noise, their impact on the environment, and how they are assessed and controlled
- Noise and Vibration Control Engineering - This module considers the full range of mitigation measures associated with noise/vibration control at source, along the transmission path, and at the receiver end
You’ll need an undergraduate degree, diploma, or higher national diploma in a science or science related discipline. Non-standard entry candidates are also welcome to apply.
2018/19 Fees (August 2018 - July 2019)
Please note that all fees may be subject to annual increase.
Additional Fee Information
Please note that the total fee for this course, £3,500, includes the registration fee for the Institute of Acoustics (£1,500).
Funding your studies
Find out more about fees, postgraduate loans and support you may be entitled to.
Find out about funding your studies
Alumni discount for Derby graduates
We offer a discount on postgraduate course fees for all Derby alumni.
Find out about the Alumni discount
If you are currently employed, this qualification will broaden your skill set, raise your professional profile and enhance your promotion prospects.
If you are just starting out on your career, the Diploma is a stepping stone to roles in local authorities, environmental/noise consultancies and industry. Many of our students finish their studies knowing that they have already secured a job.
Successful completion of the Diploma also means you can top up your qualification to a masters award. Find out more about our MSc Applied Acoustics.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.