Available for January start
Full-time: 1 year †
£600 per 20 credits* (2018/19)
£13,500 for the full programme (2018/19)
Kedleston Road, Derby Campus
- Explore education in its fullest sense – from its pivotal role in society to the theories, policies and practices that influence and enhance it
- Take a flexible approach to learning: gain a broad-based masters degree or focus on your particular area of interest via our specialist pathways
- Benefit from professional development opportunities in sectors ranging from early years to schools, further, higher and community education
- Keep up to date with the latest educational developments, inspired by a friendly teaching team who will share their extensive specialist knowledge with you
Whether you aspire to a new career in education or want to take your existing career to the next level, our MA Education course will give you the insight, skills and knowledge to become a high-calibre and dynamic education professional. It could be a vital stepping stone to management and leadership roles.
Choose a route to suit your needs
We offer an exciting range of options to match your MA studies with your personal interests and ambitions. You can complete a broad-based masters degree in education or pursue one of our specialist pathways:
You can also study the MA on a part-time basis. Find out more about our MA Education (part-time).
Skills to take you further
Our MA Education course gives you an expert understanding of the aims of education and its role in society. You will cover the key theories, policies, practices and debates which are shaping education today and how these apply directly to your current and future career.
In addition, you will undertake an in-depth research enquiry and independent study to focus on a professional practice theme of your choice. Throughout, you will hone vital skills such as critical, creative and strategic thinking, communication, presentation and teamwork.
Learn from influential experts
This course is delivered by a highly experienced team who have expertise across a range of educational sectors and regularly publish their work. They will keep you abreast of latest thinking, challenge your perceptions and support your progress.
Our MA Education draws on the cutting edge educational research for which the University is renowned. Conducting influential studies on everything from early years to adult learning, we provide consultancy for Government, schools and the wider education sector. It means your learning will be underpinned by innovative ideas which are changing the face of the education professions.
A vibrant learning community
We pride ourselves on providing a friendly, welcoming learning environment where you will receive plenty of encouragement and guidance. Our tutors are approachable, dedicated and passionate about their subjects.
You will study alongside learners from different professional and academic backgrounds. Because we welcome students from across the UK and abroad, you will also develop your cross-cultural understanding, improve your intercultural communication skills and gain global perspectives on education.
Each module is worth 20 credits, apart from the Independent Study module which is worth 60 credits.
You will study modules such as:
- Crafting your Masters Study
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Applying Educational Thinkers and Theorists in Practice
- Comparative Education
- Independent Study (Dissertation)
Optional modules (MA Education)
If you choose to study our broad-based MA Education, you will also study two optional modules such as:
- Developing the Skills of the Specialist Practitioner
- Motivation, Communication and Learning
- Educational Policy into Practice
- Measuring and Evaluating Learning
- Negotiated Module – Applied Focus of Study
Optional modules (specialist pathway)
If you choose to study an MA Education with a specialist pathway, you’ll study two specialist modules relating to your pathway. If you aren’t studying a pathway, you can study any pathway modules within your optional module choices.
- Children’s Places
- Children’s Workforce Development
- Aspects of Ability in Learning
- Lifelong Learning: Principles and Issues
Special Educational Needs and Disability
- ISEND: Removing Barriers to Achievement
- Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND): Current Issues and Concerns
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- The Principles of English Language Teaching
- Language Learning: Theory and Practice
Leadership and Management
- Quality, Leadership and Management
- Developing Leadership Capacity
Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- The Leader as Coach and Mentor
- Principles and Practices of Coaching and Mentoring
- Fostering Mathematical Understanding in the Primary School Classroom
- Learning and Teaching Mathematics in the Primary Classroom
You’ll learn through a mixture of lectures, seminars, workshops, tutorials, and independent study. By studying for a masters in education, you will develop your transferable skills, such as independent working, oral and written communication, presentation skills, teamwork and confidence.
How you're assessed
You’ll be assessed in a range of formats, including essays, presentations and reports.
The culmination of our course is the Independent Study (Dissertation). You will research an aspect of professional practice in discussion with your tutor and document your findings.
- You will usually need an undergraduate degree or an equivalent qualification.
- If your first language is not English you will need to prove you are proficient in English – IELTS 6.0
2018/19 Fees (August 2018 - July 2019)
£600 per 20 credits*
£13,500 for the full programme
*Note – at postgraduate level, you’ll need to gain the following number of credits in total to obtain the awards below.
|Postgraduate Certificate||60 Credits|
|Postgraduate Diploma||120 Credits|
|MA or MSc||180 Credits|
This means you will gain 180 credits in total to complete the full MA or MSc. If you are studying part time you will normally complete your studies over two or three years, depending on the course structure.
Please note that all fees may be subject to annual increase.
Funding your studies
Find out more about fees, postgraduate loans and support you may be entitled to.
Find out about funding your studies
Alumni discount for Derby graduates
We offer a discount on postgraduate course fees for all Derby alumni.
Find out about the Alumni discount
Scholarships and bursaries
We also offer a number of funding opportunities for all International students, including discounts, scholarships and bursaries.
Find out about scholarships and bursaries
Additional costs and optional extras
With our MA Education on your CV, you will make a powerful statement about your abilities, ambition and professional credibility. It is a course which signals to employers that you have an extensive educational knowledge base and strong transferable skills.
Our recent graduates report that their MA Education studies had a significant impact on their career development and professional status. Some have gone on to senior leadership roles such as head teacher or nursery manager; others have taken up more specialist positions such as disability co-ordinator or advanced skills teacher; and others have moved into key posts in other sectors, such as national trainer for a charitable organisation.
Drawing on their MA Education experience, a number of our graduates are now leading research projects to steer positive change in their own workplace settings and are publishing their findings.
You can also choose to take your academic studies further by embarking on the Doctor of Education or a PhD.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
This course is typically one academic year in length with the option to extend
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, state-of-the-art facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- The initial DBS for those students that require it
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- Printing and binding of Independent Study dissertation (2 copies) for assessment
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Travel expenses associated with non-compulsory work experience during programme
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.