BA (Hons) Commercial Photography (National Student Survey 2016)
With a long and proud history of photography degrees at Derby, we’ll help you create your own identity as a photographer by taking risks, challenging conventions and breaking moulds.
At Derby you’ll learn from experienced professional photographers, using the latest industry-standard studio, darkroom and digital facilities. You’ll develop imaginative approaches to image making which will set you apart within the creative, media and arts industries. You’ll hone your skills in an excellent learning environment featuring extensive photographic studies, black and white and colour darkroom, film processing facilities, dedicated digital suites, and Mac suites offering industry-standard software.
- Course search
- Visit us
- Order your prospectus
- What our students say
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- Professional development and short courses
- Part-time study
- Online learning
- Study abroad
- Careers and employment
- Fees and finance
- Student life and support
- Contact us
It was the reputation of the photography lecturers that inspired me!
"I was always advised by my parents to follow my passion and to find my purpose. So when I visited the University of Derby for an Open Day, it was the reputation of the photography lecturers and the feel of the city that inspired me to uproot from Lincolnshire and begin my life in Derby.”
Dawn is a Photography graduate who went on to launch marketing agency Katapult Ltd, which now employs several other University of Derby graduates and works on a variety of projects across the University.
This is Photography
- We were one of the first UK universities to launch a photography degree and boast over half a century of heritage in photographic education. You’ll draw on this proud tradition while working at the cutting edge of technology
- Derby is home to FORMAT, the UK’s largest international photography festival. This is an excellent platform for emerging new talent and as a Derby student you’ll have the ideal opportunity to showcase your work
- Our Commercial Photography course is accredited by the British Institute of Professional Photography and the Association of Photographers, reflecting its high standards and relevance to industries ranging from advertising to journalism
- Live briefs set by external clients, gallery visits, overseas study trips, exhibitions, festivals and competitions will bring exciting dimensions to your studies
- We have a print bureau for professional printing of high-quality, colour-accurate images and a well-stocked equipment centre from which you can loan an array of specialist cameras and lighting
What our Photography graduates do
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- commercial, advertising and editorial photography
- picture researcher
- freelance photographer
- fashion photographer
- film stills photographer
You could also go on to study our MA Film and Photography postgraduate course.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: