During this professional development course, you will develop your knowledge and understanding of maths anxiety and how it differs to other forms of anxiety. You will learn how maths anxiety affects thinking and will explore the experiences and attitudes of children and young people, whilst reflecting on your own experiences and attitudes towards mathematics.
As well as looking at the factors which may lead to or influence maths anxiety, thus creating a positive or negative start in maths education, you will also learn how to measure maths anxiety through the use of a helpful and validated assessment scale, a tool that can also be used to support your day-to day role.
This professional development course seeks to provide both theoretical understanding and practical knowledge of maths anxiety which can be transferred directly to the work environment.
This professional development course will provide you with:
- The ability to recognise and understand the signs of maths anxiety
- An understanding on how maths anxiety differs from other types of anxiety.
- An understanding of how maths anxiety is measured and the ability to use a maths anxiety assessment scale with children and young people.
- The ability to identify the factors that influence the emergence and maintenance of maths anxiety.
Learning and assessment
You will study this course 100% online alongside fellow learners and with the support from your tutor. It comprises a range of activities including:
- Finding out about an effective maths anxiety assessment scale.
- Undertaking activities to help you to reflect.
- Reading extracts from texts and academic journals.
- Watching short videos.
There is no obligation for you to undertake every activity, but being involved in all aspects of the course will help you to achieve a well-rounded knowledge.
There is no graded assessment. Instead, you will receive a badge for each completed Unit, and then upon completion of the whole course, you will be awarded with an e-certificate.
How to enrol for the Understanding Maths Anxiety course?
All of our short online courses are delivered through an easy-to-use online learning platform, which you can enrol from directly.
The course is widely available for anyone to take part regardless of age, location, level of education or professional work experience.
You will, however, need access to the internet whether it is on your PC, tablet, mobile or other electronic device. You will also need a valid email address to register on the online learning platform in order to take part in the course.
You will be required to agree to the terms and conditions, which will be available when you enrol, before you start the course.