I am a registered Social Worker and have worked as an academic at the University of Derby since 1999. I qualified as a Social Worker in 1984 and worked in a wide range of statutory settings in both children and adult services.
This professional development short course offers a unique introduction to the concept of Social Pedagogy within the context of working with and caring for children and young people. By considering the child in a holistic manner, you will gain insight and learn new ideas for working creatively with challenging and difficult behaviour and in caring for children experiencing difficulties in their lives.
Social pedagogy is a well-established and popular discipline in mainland Europe, which is now seeing increasing levels of interest and is gradually being adopted throughout the UK within childcare settings. By studying this professional development course, you will enhance your knowledge in relation to this specific, contemporary approach to caring for and educating children and young people.
Who is the Social Pedagogy professional development course for?
Though open to anyone with an interest in Social Pedagogy, this professional development short course will be of particular relevance to a wide-range of practitioners in the Statutory, Private, Voluntary and Charitable sectors including:
- Social Workers
- Residential Child Care Workers
- Family Support Workers
- Foster Carers
- Youth and Community Workers
- Nursery Assistants
- Play Workers
- Teaching Assistants
- Students studying subjects relating to Health and Social Care and Child Development in Schools and Colleges
Gain a Certificate and digital badges to recognise your CPD achievement
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be awarded with an E-Certificate of Completion from the University of Derby to recognise your achievement and your commitment to continuing professional development (CPD), allowing you to provide evidence to a professional body or to your employer or simply for inclusion in your personal development portfolio.
You will also gain a digital badge for each unit that you complete, recognising your efforts for each stage of the course
This course does not hold any university credits and cannot therefore be counted towards certificated entry onto an academic programme.
During the social pedagogy course, you can expect to:
- Develop an understanding of social pedagogy in social care and education settings, gaining professional knowledge about legislation, policy, guidance and theory whilst considering different social pedagogical models and frameworks.
- Gain valuable insight, knowledge and skills to apply social pedagogical approaches to practice situations by exploring ways in which social pedagogical approaches can be applied when working with children and young people and reflecting upon new ideas for working in this environment.
A flexible course that fits in with working and family life
This learner led course is open for continuous enrolment, which means it can be studied at any time and delivered 100% online, allowing you to manage your studies around work and family commitments. This is a self-guided course which involves reflective activities to assess subject understanding whilst completing an action plan for use in the workplace. Our online short courses are designed to be intellectually stimulating, thought provoking and rewarding.