The online Management Accounting (Top-Up) BSc (Hons) course will equip you with the relevant skills to pursue Management Accounting positions within a sector of your choice. This course allows you to top up existing qualifications to a full Management Accounting undergraduate degree. Partnered with the CISI, our course is also directly mapped against the teaching of their foundation qualification, Introduction to Investment, with the option to take the exam upon completion of our course. It explores the complex and challenging nature of the management accounting and business environment.
Our Management Accounting (Top-Up) BSc (Hons) is ideally suited to holders of the CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) Advanced Diploma in Management Accounting and those interested in obtaining a degree in Management Accounting who have professional accounting qualifications or external business, finance or accountancy qualifications (up to level 5).
CISI Education University Partnership
We have the first online university degree programme in the UK to be partnered with the CISI, the largest and most widely respected professional body for the securities and investment profession in the UK, with a growing number of global financial centres. Our Management Accounting (Top-Up) BSc (Hons) degree course has been closely mapped against the CISI’s Introduction to Investment foundation qualification, helping you to prepare you for its exam, which can be taken at the University of Derby campus or at one of the CISI’s global test centres.
Furthermore, students wishing to pursue the Introduction to Investment qualification will benefit from a 50% saving on the exam fee and the work book. A one-off registration fee will be payable to become a CISI student member, giving you access to a number of membership benefits designed to support your studies and broaden your career development. We are offering a limited number of scholarships to cover the cost of the CISI Registration Fee, exam fee and workbook – a select few will be chosen upon enrolment.
The Introduction to Investment qualification is the first step on the CISI qualification pathway, and is also recognised by the UK Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). It will be of special interest to you if you are interested in a career in wealth management, operational investments, financial planning, compliance and risk, and stockbroking. Upon completion of this foundation qualification, there is then an option to join the CISI as an affiliate member (subject to annual membership fee).
Tutors that work to the latest professional standards
Our teaching staff are all professionally qualified and have industry as well as academic experience. They also teach on the professional body courses, such as ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants and CIMA, which means they understand the most current professional standards. That’s important because you need to be sure that what you’ll learn is up to date and relevant to today’s business world.
Benefits of studying online
Studying online gives you the flexibility to study at the most convenient time and place for you. Course modules still operate within a fixed trimester but you can choose to study during the day, in the evenings or at the weekend rather than having to attend fixed lectures.
A talk from our Academic Lead
Our Academic Lead for Accounting, Finance and Economics, Dr Tony Stevenson, talks about our Management Accounting (Top-Up) BSc (Hons) degree course in this video.
We will advise you of your study plan when you are invited to enrol.
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
Pace of study
We recommend about 20 hours of study per week to complete one 20-credit module over a 10-week trimester. If you aim to study two modules in one trimester, we recommend 40 hours of study per week.
This course is assessed through 100% coursework with a range of methods, such as essays, research reports, presentations, group work and practical reports.
For direct entry onto the course, you will need one of the following:
- CIMA Advanced Diploma (E2/P2/F2) in Management Accounting
- ACCA - Any 6 papers from F1-F9
- HND or foundation degree in Business, Accountancy or Finance or equivalent overseas qualification
- Edexcel BTEC Level 5 HND Diploma in Business with accountancy or finance
- ICAEW (Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales) Professional Stage qualifications
- CIPFA (Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy) Professional Diploma
If you do not meet the direct entry criteria but have one of the following qualifications, you may be eligible to join the course after passing a level 5 Macroeconomics for Business module:
- CIMA Operational level plus at least three years of relevant full-time work experience within the financial sector
- ACCA F1-F3 plus at least three years of relevant full-time work experience within the financial sector
- HNC in Business, Finance or Accountancy plus three years of relevant full-time work experience within the financial sector
If you hold a CIMA advanced diploma, or HND or foundation degree in Business or equivalent overseas qualification, you may also be suited to our BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance (Top-Up) degree as an alternative option.
English language qualifications
If English is not your first language you will need an English language qualification. For this course you will need at least one of the following:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 6.0**
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) 550 (paper based) 213 (computer based) or 80 (internet based)
- Pearson Test of Academic English: 51
- Cambridge Advanced Certificate: Pass
- London Tests of English: we accept level 4 for undergraduate courses
- International GCE O-level English Language: Grade C
- International GCSE English/English as a Second Language: Grade C*
* If you don't have GCSE Maths, you can study our Certificate of Credit in Introduction to Maths in Preparation for Higher Education, which is a 20-credit module designed to help you develop your mathematical skills in preparation for higher education.
**If you have a minimum of IELTS level 4.5, you can study our Certificate of Credit in English for Academic Purposes, which we will accept as evidence that you are able to perform at a suitable level of IELTS 6.0. We will also accept the Certificate of Credit as evidence that you can perform at GCSE level.
Documents to support your application
You'll need to provide:
- Photo ID – this could be your passport or driving licence
- Current CV
- Copies of certificates and transcripts or a letter of testimony for previous qualifications*
*Documents not in English or Welsh must be accompanied by a certified translation by a professional translator/translation company. Each translation must contain:
- Confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document
- The date of the translation
- The full name and signature of the translator, or an authorised official of the company
- The translator’s contact details
A list of approved translators can be found on the UK Government website.
If you have completed CIMA’s Strategic Level modules (E3/P3/F3) - or partially completed them - you will be eligible for exemptions. Contact us for more information.
| ||Per 20 credits||Modules||Cost|
† Prices correct for 2019/20 new students. Subject to potential annual increase in September 2020.
Flexible payment plans available
Choose from three options:
Pay monthly and only for the modules you are studying
Pay your full course fees upfront, receive 5% discount and avoid annual increases
Pay for all modules studied in the year and receive a 5% discount (September enrolment only)
Undergraduate funding options
Depending on where you are from in the UK or EU, and on your pace of study, you may be eligible for an undergraduate student loan. Accessible through Student Finance, this is a non-income based loan to meet the cost of tuition fees.
If you already hold an honours degree, and you are looking to re-skill or up-skill, you may still be eligible for a loan to study this course.
Students should apply directly to the University.
This course appeals to those already in middle-management-level roles but would like to progress to more senior roles. It can provide you with the skills to help you apply for roles such as:
- Business analyst
- Investment banker
- Management consultant
- Financial controller
Contact the University of Derby Online Learning:Contact usFrequently asked questions
† Additional information about your studies
Prices correct for 2019/20 new students. Subject to potential annual increase in September 2020.
Download programme specification