Our excellent facilities, hands-on learning techniques and impressive employment rates will give you a great start towards a rewarding career in nursing.
Becoming a nurse is quite literally life-changing. You’ll gain the skills to provide exceptional levels of care via our first-class facilities, practise these skills through placements in hospitals and community settings across the region, and gain a full understanding of both the demands and rewards of delivering high-quality nursing care. Our exceptional employment record shows that our nursing graduates are in high demand. Choose to study with us and take your first step into a rewarding career, where you will be able to make a positive impact every day.
“Whatever your potential you have the possibility to achieve it”
“I would encourage anyone to consider studying Nursing at the University of Derby. You have the opportunity of a personal tutor; if you have academic or personal issues you can always talk to them and they are willing to listen to you. The class sizes are good and you have the opportunity to mix with a range of other students. Whatever your potential, you have the possibility to achieve it if you come to the University of Derby.”
This is Nursing
- Our nursing degrees are accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). This professional recognition means you’ll be eligible to register and practise as a nurse when you graduate
- Practical experience is a hallmark of our courses. Drawing on our flourishing employer links, we offer work placements in a broad spectrum of health and social care settings
- Our Clinical Skills Suite is built to professional standards and is a safe environment for you to develop the competences that you’ll need to thrive in your career. The suite includes a replica ward, counselling rooms and a treatment room, all fully equipped with the latest clinical resources
- Recently installed, our Immersive Interactive Simulation Suite replicates a range of different scenarios that nurses may find themselves working in, from the back of an ambulance to an operating theatre or anaesthetic room. You’ll be ‘immersed’ into different environments to gain a greater understanding of the varied pressures you’ll encounter and the range of factors you’ll need to consider when working in different spaces
- You can study BSc (Hons) Nursing (Adult) and BSc (Hons) Nursing (Mental Health) at either our Derby or Chesterfield Campus, both of which offer exceptional health care learning facilities.
- Unsure which route into nursing is best for you? Our handy guide can help put you on the right track.
What our Nursing graduates do
BSc (Hons) Nursing graduates are eligible to register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) as either an adult or mental health nurse.
If you choose our FdSc Professional Development (Health and Social Care) / Higher Apprenticeship (Assistant Practitioner) you’ll develop your skills to support you in your career progression within health and social care.
In addition, our extensive continuing professional development short courses and modules are available to qualified health care professionals.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- health and social care
- community teams
- private hospitals
- nursing homes
- armed services
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: