Creative Designs From Derby On Show In The Capital
Date posted: 3 July 2013
Ingenious new products - many with a 'green' theme - and stunning visual images will be exhibited by University of Derby students at a national showcase devoted to the best in design.
New designs in fashion, textiles, interiors, jewellery, graphics and illustration, furniture, products and other fields are featured each year at the annual New Designers' exhibition.
Derby students who've just completed their courses will join more than 3,000 exhibitors at London's Business Design Centre for the 2013 show, from today (July 3) until Saturday (July 6).
Among the creations on display from Derby's BA (Hons) and BSc (Hons) Product Design students are:
- paintbrush and paint roller cleaning device, with recyclable cleaning agent (by student Josh Owen, who is in the process of applying for a patent for his idea);
- beginner's sculling boat with an adjustable stability function (Matthew Ellis);
- low capacity dishwasher designed for small accommodation spaces (Ollie Olsen);
- soil-less plant growing system for use within the home (Sam Doy);
- accessible refuelling nozzle for people with limited mobility (Samantha Evans);
- alternative instrument personal midi-controller (a single device enabling different musical instruments and sounds to be played), shaped and played like a guitar (Steven Lewis).
Samantha Evans, 21, originally of Sutton Coldfield - who completed her BA (Hons) Product Design course this summer (2013) - is already attempting to patent her invention.
She said: "The idea came to me when a friend of mine told me that a lady had asked him for assistance with refuelling her car, as she couldn't do it herself due to having arthritis.
"I decided to carry out some research and realised that this was a big issue for a lot of people, so I decided to find a solution to the problem. I've recently applied for a patent on it, which is still ongoing.
"I'm excited to be going to the New Designers' exhibition. It will be a great experience and I'm really pleased to have the opportunity to take part."
Terry Watson, University Programme Leader for Product Design, added: "New Designers' is the most important showcase for graduating product designers. The event features UK-based students but is international in reputation, with potential employers from around the world attending.
"We have been sending representatives to the show for eight years and it has proven to be a springboard into employment for some, while others have been awarded prestigious prizes. This year's group are very talented and we have high hopes for their success."
Also exhibiting at New Designers' from the University of Derby will be students from the University's Graphic Design, Illustration and Animation degree courses.
These will include Matas Zaloga, Ugne Dagilyte and Harriet Farren. They have just completed Derby's BA (Hons) Animation degree course and are also the creators of an animated TV commercial, now being shown on E4 and other digital TV channels to promote the University of Derby's latest student recruitment campaign, called 'Are You Ready?'
Fellow visual artists exhibiting at the London show include:
- From the BA (Hons) Graphic Design degree course - Laura Taylor, Danny Painter, Jason Booth, Hazel Wilkes, Sophie Shearsmith and Jon Cooper-Bagley.
- From BA (Hons) Illustration - Rosie McAdam, Claire Stamper, Matthew Watson, Samantha Allen and Tracy Slater.
Marc Bosward, Lecturer in Design, said: "New Designers' offers our students a fantastic opportunity to show their work at the UK's most important graduate design exhibition.
"Our Illustration, Animation and Graphic Design students will get the chance to network with leading industry professionals, and meet potential employers and commissioners."
For more information about the 2013 New Designers' exhibition in London see website www.newdesigners.com
For further media information about this press release please contact Sean Kirby, University of Derby Press and PR Officer, on 01332 591891 or email: email@example.com