Buxton Adventure Festival Searches For Young Adventurers
Date posted: 23 October 2013
There's also a special Spirit of Adventure category for any young person who's excelled in their sport or has perhaps overcome a challenge or demonstrated great progress in the face of adversity.
Or maybe you know a Young Leader, coach or volunteer who has helped others to reach their potential. Whatever the sport, activity or adventure, if they are pushing their boundaries or leading others by example, then they want to hear their story.
Explain in 250 words or less why you want to nominate your son, daughter, young relative, friend or classmate, student or club member, fellow team member or even yourself!
The winners will be short-listed by the judging panel including top climber Pete Whittaker, England fell runner Stuart Bond, and Hope Factory team cyclist Adela Carter.
British Adventurer Dave Cornthwaite will present the winners with medals and prizes and give a keynote speech at an exclusive, invitation-only awards ceremony evening at the Oaklands Manor Outdoor Leadership Centre at University of Derby, Buxton on Friday 1st November ahead of the Buxton Adventure Festival opening on Saturday 2nd November.
• A trophy for each of the three category winners - Young Adventurer, Spirit of Adventure and Young Leader.
• Plus our overall 'Young Adventurer' award winner will win a trip for two to the 2014 Junior Adventure Racing World Cup in the French High Alps for themselves and a friend, including travel and accommodation.
• And each of our 'Spirit of Adventure' and 'Young Leader' category winners will win an 'Adventure Day' at Oaklands Manor Outdoor Leadership Centre for themselves and up to 20 classmates.
WHAT'S ON AT BAF FOR YOUNG ADVENTURERS
Buxton is a family-friendly adventure festival. As well as the Young Adventurers Awards there are also two special morning Young Adventurer Sessions with Daredevil Danny and Dave Cornthwaite followed by an action-packed Adventure Films screening.
In addition, the new U-certified 'Adventure Bites' loop will run all day in The Studio theatre with private wifi headphones so you can drop in at any point during the day. Also new for 2013 is the High Peak Tri Club's Children's Swim-Run Aquathlon.
There'll also be free Xplorer orienteering in the afternoons with Derbyshire Village Games and free slacklining, mini climbing wall and caving with the YHA.
Dr Peter Dewhurst, Strategic Director at the University of Derby, Buxton said: "We are delighted to be launching a new award to encourage and inspire the next generation of adventurers. Adventure is at the heart of our outdoors courses at Oaklands Manor Outdoor Leadership Centre where we equip our students with the practical skills needed to face the challenges they will encounter whether they go on to work in the outdoors industry or become explorers and adventurers themselves."
Matt Heason, Buxton Adventure Festival Director said: "With the Peak District National Park on our doorstep, Derbyshire's always attracted some of the world's best adventure sports athletes. We want to encourage the next generation of home-grown talent with these new awards."
Janice Price, Partnership Manager at the Rural Derbyshire School Sport Partnership said: "I never cease to be amazed by the energy and dedication of our Young Leaders who volunteer their time to help organise festivals and competitions for our younger pupils. In rural areas it's crucial to give talented youngsters a pathway to success, forging links between schools and clubs. We hope these new awards will shine a light on talented youngsters of all ages and abilities".
Terms & conditions
• Nominations must be submitted online: www.heason.net/Buxton-Adventure-Festival-Young-Adventurers-Awards-Night/
• Nominations will close at 5pm on Friday 25th October.
• Nominees must be 17 or under on 1st November 2013 and live in and/or go to school in Derbyshire on the 1st November 2013.
• Nominations are open to the public as well as to schools, clubs, groups etc. You may nominate more than one young person (please submit one form per nominee).
• You can only nominate a young person in one category.
• Judging: In the event of a tied decision, Festival Director Matt Heason will have a casting vote.
• Prizes: Please note, the 2014 Junior Adventure Racing World Cup will take place in the Haute Alps in France towards the end of July (date tbc). The race is open to 7 to 17 year olds and takes 4 nights and 5 days. Watch 2013 video here: http://vimeo.com/74139172.
• Each Spirit of Adventure and Young Leader category winner will win an 'Adventure Day' at Oaklands Manor Outdoor Leadership Centre for themselves and up to 20 classmates. Dates and details will be decided with the winner, in liaison with their teachers and the University of Derby, Buxton.
• Read more about Dave Cornthwaite and our judging panel at www.buxtonadventurefestival.co.uk