Motorsport Engineering courses
rating for Teaching
BEng (Hons) Motorsport Engineering (National Student Survey 2016)
Fast-paced and hands-on, our motorsport courses will put you on the right track for a successful career in this exciting industry.
Get your career in motorsport off to a flying start in a city and university with a rich engineering heritage. With Donington Park race track, the original home of British motorsport, just down the road, we have a proven record of producing graduates who go on to work with national and international race teams. Some have raced all over the world.
Lecturers have extensive experience in the industry!
“The course provides a good variety of modules, which are all taught in-depth and hands-on. Lecturers have extensive experience in the industry and always have time for students who want to learn further or talk through ideas. I am on a placement now and I’m enjoying the work and accompanying challenges. There have been many occasions where knowledge I’ve used in the workplace have come directly from lectures and research at the University.”
This is Motorsport Engineering
- Get hands-on experience in our workshops which have a rolling road and digital diagnostic and set-up equipment
- You’ll work on projects set for you by outside organisations – a recent example was a redesigned Toyota Avensis and transformer truck for Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service. You’ll apply your learning to real situations and build your understanding of how to use your skills in a work environment - perfect preparation for life after graduation
- Join together with your fellow students to pit your wits against others in regional, national and international competitions, such as Formula Student, where you’ll design, build and compete with a singleseat racing car
- Give yourself a professional edge, with work placements that can lead to an extra qualification – the Diploma in Professional Practice
The workshops at Markeaton street include a motorsport workshop, mechanical and manufacturing engineering workshop, wood workshop, metal workshop and crafts workshop.
What our Motorsport Engineering graduates do
Previous Derby graduates have gone on to race all over the world and work with international race teams in F1, FIA-GT and GP2.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- Data Technician
- Chassis Design Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Design Development Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Crew Chief
Employers our graduates have go on to work for include:
- Aston Martin
- EPM Technologies
- Dunlop Motorsport
- Jaguar Land Rover
- Triumph Motorcycles
You could also go on to study our MSc Motorsport Engineering postgraduate degree.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: