This programme will compliment programmes within both the Centre for Mineral Products and Civil Engineering whilst also providing you with an improved career path which enhances lifelong learning.
The programme seeks to create an open and diverse community of learners that offers inclusivity and equality to all, with particular emphasis on non-traditional learners. After completing the programme will have:
- Knowledge of underlying concepts of pavement design and its principles associated with technical and operational technologies including future trends and innovation
- Sufficient technical knowledge to ‘challenge current thinking’
- Critical understanding of pavement design processes to ensure best possible performance in terms of asset quality, safety, and environmental impact
- Deep understanding of the use and interpretation of investigative techniques and data
- Sufficient financial management knowledge to facilitate deeper understanding of asset whole life costing
- Sufficient analytical skills to facilitate deeper understanding of pavement failure mechanisms
- Improved personal and interpersonal skills to communicate with, and lead teams of employees or capital projects
- Sufficient technical knowledge to understand and implement the design into construction phase
- The ability to undertake higher learning, to develop existing skills and acquire new competencies, enabling graduates to assume significant increased responsibility as a pavement engineering professional.
It is recognised by the Highways industry, that currently there is no accredited route to Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status for specialist fields such as pavement engineering, more specifically concrete. Initiated by National Highways and supported by the Concrete Society this programme will support you with opportunity in:
- Providing a top up considered as Initial Professional Development (IPD) and Continuing Professional Development (CPD). In addition, accreditation is actively being sort from the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) to further develop engineering professionals from a technical perspective
- Providing a pathway for those following the C4MP accredited FD or apprenticeships in Asphalt and Pavements and flexibility to extend their education in a specialist field
- Providing an option for progression onto the MSc Civil Engineering and Construction Management. The improved offer will also enhance the marketability of the MSc Civil Engineering and Construction Management whilst also supporting the growth of the Centre for Mineral Products.
Over two years you will complete these modules:
Rigid pavement design materials and construction (20 credits)
This module develops an understanding of the mixtures of aggregates, cement (and their replacements) along with additives which are used in several ways by the construction industry, particularly in highway and airfield pavements, and where applicable other paved areas. This module introduces the concept of concrete pavements and develops knowledge of the technology, standards, specifications, and other requirements that apply to concrete mixtures for use in pavements specifically.
Rigid pavement asset management (20 credits)
The module introduces the subject of pavement assessment, which is required to ensure that the pavement is both safe and strong enough to carry the ever-increasing traffic loading, through the development of pavement investigation techniques and monitoring. The module develops an understanding of defect causation, diagnosis and application of various treatment and rehabilitation options.
Civil engineering and construction management (20 credits)
The objective of the module is to gain an understanding of the key principles of the management of civil engineering works, projects and operations. The ability to manage across a number of disciplines and functions within a civil engineering context is an essential skill for the civil engineer in a management role. The working knowledge of all essential relevant legislation involving health and safety, sustainability, environmental, commercial and employment issues will be explored in detail. Practical business management techniques are also covered with the emphasis on understanding and applying the areas of technical compliance and financial control.
Advanced infrastructure surveying and design (20 credits)
The primary aim of this module is to enhance your knowledge and experience of contemporary surveying processes. The use of computers and mathematical processes for surveying procedures and error correction will be critically assessed and the need for the practicing professional to realise the limitations to various applications. The management of the surveying process including Health and Safety and time will be appraised including the preparation and interpretation of client briefs. Applied application techniques including GPS and monitoring surveys.
Independent Study and Personal Development (40 credits)
The individual project is regarded as an important element of the specialist degree. It provides students in their final year with a challenge to identify and undertake an original and detailed study and present a major piece of relevant work to a critical and informed audience. It aims to develop your power to work independently, researching in depth a topic of their choice, using relevant concepts and techniques. This module is designed to bring together all of your learning in relation to your own area of professional practice.
How you'll learn
The programme is structured so that the Learning Outcomes are met and the learner journey follows a logical and developmental pathway. The programme is influenced by the principles of work based learning, which are recognised as requiring a different approach from traditional learning. As such a flexible range of teaching and learning methods are used. For example:
- Face to face taught modules combining tutor input with structured opportunities for discussion, reflection and planning for workplace application
- Learning opportunities identified and taken directly from the learner’s workplace situation
- Action learning sets and other facilitated group activities
- Individual reflection on learning
- Technology enhanced learning using a sophisticated virtual learning environment (VLE)
This programme utilises an online e-learning VLE, through which much of the learning content will be shared and developed on an ongoing basis. This e-learning platform also seeks to provide interactive and community learning opportunities, in line with the latest thinking on the utilisation of new technologies in the context of teaching and learning. It also aims to be compatible with multiple learning platforms, such as tablets and smartphones, creating flexibility in terms of time and place of the learning experience.
How you're assessed
Methods of assessment include activities such as:
- practical projects focused on particular workplaces
- management and technical reports
- reflective portfolios
- E-assessments via the Virtual Learning Environment
- problem-solving tasks
- varied writing tasks and oral assessment
- practical assessment of professional competence
One of our Foundation Degrees or if you already hold the University Diploma in Mineral Extractives Studies, or the Diploma in Asphalt Technology and the Extractives Studies top-up Certificate, and you've achieved the SHE NVQ4* (since 2005) or QCF SHE6 you can join the programme.
However, you may also hold other qualifications which will enable you entry to the programme. Please contact us to discuss further.
UK and EU students
- Year 1 £3,165
- Year 2 £3,810
- Year 1 £4,025
- Year 2 £4,690
*We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change.
Students should apply directly to the University.
Apply directly to the University
Empower your workforce with block bookings
Take advantage of a short courses block booking to upskill your employees. Our short courses run on-campus and online and include new legislation and other up-to-the-minute issues. Get in touch today and we will tailor a package to meet the needs of your business.Block booking for business