Media and Cultural Studies Courses
BA American Studies (National Student Survey 2017)
If you have your sights set on a dynamic career, our exciting Media and Cultural Studies degrees are the ideal preparation for professional success.
From American Studies to Popular Music in Society, our varied and flexible media and cultural studies courses will ensure you graduate with the perfect blend of academic knowledge and personal attributes that will make you attractive to employers.
You’ll develop your skills in research, narrative, plot-building, storytelling and tone of voice; and you will study culture, politics and history. With an emphasis on problem-solving and flexibility, you’ll boost your confidence and ambition to emerge as a well-rounded graduate, ready to take on the world.
- Course search
- Visit us
- Order your prospectus
- What our students say
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- Professional development and short courses
- Part-time study
- Online learning
- Study abroad
- Careers and employment
- Student fees and finance
- Student life and support
- Contact us
“Media Studies helped me to pinpoint which areas were of most interest to me”
“I’m a news anchor and produce and present my own travel/culture show. The channel, CNC World, is broadcast globally. I moved to China within weeks of my graduation ceremony at the beginning of 2007. What I had originally intended on being a ‘year out’ turned into a never-ending Eastern expedition.
“I knew I wanted to work in the media industry, but was unsure which route to follow. The Media Studies course enabled me to gain a better understanding of all areas - print, broadcast and new media; this helped me to pinpoint which areas were of most interest to me.
“Without a doubt I would say that my years at the University of Derby were the best years of my life. I think that being a student is all about self-discovery, and figuring out the type of person you want to be.”
This is Media and Cultural Studies
- Our experienced lecturers are actively involved in research and highly respected within their academic fields, so you can be confident that you’ll receive high-quality teaching that’s relevant to today’s world
- Stand out from the crowd in a competitive job market - build a combination of practical and transferable skills, creative thinking and academic knowledge
- Expand your intellectual horizons - you can choose to study in America for part of your second year, or take part in our Go Places, Go Further scheme and spend up to a year at one of our partner universities across the globe.
What our Media and Cultural Studies Studies graduates do
Our media and cultural studies degrees are designed to give you the best start in your career. You’ll be equipped to work in the creative media industries or as a press, PR or communications professional.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- business and commerce
- teaching and academia
- journalism and the media
- culture and heritage
- civil and uniformed services
- media management
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: