Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering courses
BEng (Hons) Manufacturing and Production Engineering (National Student Survey 2016)
of graduates are now in graduate level employment
BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering (DLHE 2015/16)
Join one of the most highly-skilled workforces in the UK by studying a mechanical or manufacturing engineering degree in Derby.
Our Mechanical Engineering courses have been ranked in the Top 20 in the Guardian University Guide 2019 and with world-leading engineering companies like Rolls-Royce, Toyota, Bombardier and JCB on our doorstep, you’ll be studying at the heart of the engineering industry at Derby. You’ll benefit from the strong relationships we have developed with these companies and the relevant professional bodies. Commercial partners also set live projects, which will give you fantastic handson experience alongside your studies.
I like the fact that I was able to study such a range of modules during my first two years.
“My highlights of the course have been taking part in the Shell Eco-marathon with the University team and my placement year at EPM Technology, where I worked with Formula 1 teams and other prestigious companies. Through direct exposure to industry I gained first-hand knowledge, putting me a step ahead in terms of employability.”
This is Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Our engineering workshops include a dedicated mechanical and manufacturing area with industry standard machines, so you’ll develop practical skills to offer future employers
- Our courses are professionally accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers on behalf of the Engineering Council – this recognition means you can be sure our courses meet professional standards
- You can take part in regional, national and international competitions with students on your course, such as the Shell Ecomarathon where you’ll design, build and test an ultra-energy efficient vehicle
- Give yourself an extra advantage – work placements can lead to the Diploma in Professional Practice
The workshops at Markeaton street include a motorsport workshop, mechanical and manufacturing engineering workshop, wood workshop, metal workshop and crafts workshop.
What our Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering graduates do
Our expert teaching and professionally recognised qualifications will give you a great start in your future career.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- mechanical engineering design
- manufacturing lean engineering
- automotive design
- applications of advanced materials
You could also go on to study our MSc Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering postgraduate degree and work towards becoming a Chartered Engineer.
Companies that they have gone on to work for include:
- EPM Technology
- Balfour Beatty
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: