Visa Conditions

This page is dedicated to students studying on a Student visa or other UK visa category and students with Settled or Pre-Settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). 

Listed below are the conditions that you need to fulfil in order to successfully complete the enrolment. You must comply with the conditions below on the entire duration of your course.

Please note that you must send all the required documents to us. By not providing us with relevant documents you may be in breach of your visa responsibilities and regulations. Failure to complying with the conditions below could lead to withdrawal from the course and the cancellation of your visa.

Please click on the relevant drop down box to read the conditions that will apply to you based on your type of status.

To enrol on your course you must provide the following documents as evidence of your right to study in the UK:

  • The front and back of your biometric residence permit (BRP).
  • The photo page of your passport.
  • Any current or previous UK-issued visas (called a vignette) stamped inside your passport.
  • Evidence that you have submitted a visa application (such as the online Document Checklist).

In addition to the above documents you must also:

  • Enrol for your course on time when appropriate, including re-enrolment for additional studies.
  • Attend all classes and any other academic engagements, notifying your tutors/supervisors if you are going to be absent.
  • Make satisfactory academic progress on your course, meeting all scheduled deadlines.
  • Seek permission if you require authorised absence for a short-period due to personal reasons.
  • Ensure that your contact details with the University of Derby and UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) are up to date. You can access the online UKVI form to update your details.
  • Contact if there are changes in your course status. For example, if you will be withdrawing, deferring your studies or changing course. This does not apply to those who do not possess a Student visa.
  • Ensure that you do not overstay your visa and where necessary, submit a new visa application before your current visa expires if you are eligible to do so.

Student visa holders – Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if I complete my course early, withdraw or take a break from studies?

The University must inform UKVI of any changes. If you defer your studies or withdraw your visa will no longer be valid and you will need to arrange to leave the UK. If you finish early, your visa will expire early as well. You will be informed of this if it applies to you.

Can I work whilst studying at the University?

Your visa will state how many hours you can work each week. You can work whilst on a Student visa as well as study, although the maximum hours you are allowed to work depends on the level of study you choose to take:

  • Bachelors degree and above, you are allowed up to 20 hours per week.
  • Courses below degree level (e.g. International Foundation Programme) can work up to 10 hours per week.

Student visa holders can work full time during the University Christmas and Easter holiday periods, the dates of which can be found in the University calendar and confirmed to you with a confirmation letter once you are enrolled.

Undergraduate students may also work during the summer holiday period, subject to you having successfully completed your academic study at that point in time and obtaining a letter from your College Student Centre to confirm your term dates. Postgraduate students do not have a summer break.

Students who have completed their study at the University of Derby will require a letter from their College Student Centre to confirm they have successfully completed their course of study before they can exceed their restricted working hours.

If you are a postgraduate research (PGR) student you must have the written permission of your Director of Studies before engaging with any work.

Students who are on a compulsory work placement as part of their course can work full time hours on a placement. If you are studying on a Short-term Study or Standard Visitor visa you cannot work at all.

Will I be able to extend my visa in the UK?

In most cases you can extend your visa in the UK, so long as you are continuing to actively study current course or have completed your course and will be studying a new course. In all cases you must meet the necessary visa requirements. If you have no studies to undertake or there is a gap in your studies of more than 60 days, then you may not be able to extend your visa and could be required to return to your home country to apply for a visa from there.

I have more questions, where can I get help?

Check the visa and immigration information and the Student visa guidance. You can also email if you have any further questions.

To enrol on your course you must provide the following as evidence of your right to study in the UK:

Pre-Settled Status validity

Your Pre-Settled Status will expire when you have been resident in the UK for five years. Once you have been in the UK for five years you can register for the EUSS again to be granted Settled Status. Please visit our website for more information on the EUSS and its validity.

If you have any questions regarding the EUSS please email