BRP errors or loss

Your BRP is a very important document that is evidence of your right to study and live in the UK.

You must check your BRP once you receive it for any mistakes that may have been made when it was issued. This includes checking that your name is written and spelt correctly, that your date of birth, gender and nationality are correct and that it is valid for the correct length of time.

What should I do if I notice an error?

You must report the error immediately to UKVI. This can be done using their website. Complete the online form and UKVI will email you to confirm if a mistake has been made. Once they send this email acknowledging the error the BRP will need to be posted to them in order for a new one to be created. Bring your BRP to the International Student Centre and we can post it for you.

What should I do if I lose my BRP or it is stolen?

First of all, you need to be absolutely certain that you cannot find your BRP. Try and retrace your steps over the previous few days and search everywhere in your accommodation or class room. If you cannot locate it then it will need to be reported and you will have to apply for a replacement.

How do I report the loss of my BRP?

You will need to report the loss to the local police station. This will be the police station in the town or city that you believe you lost it. If possible, ask for a report reference number from the police.

Afterwards you need to report the loss to UKVI by applying for a replacement BRP online. This must be done within three months of losing your BRP. The Immigration Advisor in the International Student Centre can check your application before it is submitted. The application will cost £56 and you will need to provide two photographs and proof of your current address (bank statement, council tax notice, utility bill, etc.).


What if I lose my BRP outside of the UK?

As before you will need to report it to the local police station and UKVI. You will then need to apply for a temporary visa on the UKVI website. This application will cost £154. After completing your personal details, you should fill in the beginning of the application as follows:

Reason for visit: Other
Visa type: Other
Visa sub type:  Replacement Biometric Residence Permit

Once you arrive back in the UK you must apply for a replacement BRP as detailed above within one month.

What happens if I find my BRP?

Once it is reported as lost your BRP is no longer valid. Furthermore you cannot have more than one BRP at a time. If you do, the old one must be returned to UKVI at the following address:

BRP Returns
Returns Unit
PO Box 163
BS20 1AB