About the role
We have an excellent opportunity for a strategic and motivated leader to join the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Collaborative Outreach Programme (DANCOP) in the critical role of Deputy Head.
DANCOP is one of 29 partnerships within Uni Connect, an Office for Students funded programme that aims to:
- reduce the gap in higher education participation between the most and least represented;
- help young and adult learners from underrepresented groups make informed decisions about their options into and through higher education;
- support a local infrastructure of universities, colleges and others to cut through competition and make it easier for schools and colleges to access, addressing 'cold spots' for under-represented groups;
- contribute to a stronger evidence base of what works in higher education outreach and strengthen evaluation practice.
Established in 2017, the Uni Connect programme moved to Phase 3 in August 2021; this phase will run until July 2025, subject to an annual consultation and funding process.
As the Deputy Head, your role will be fundamental in supporting the Head of DANCOP to manage, develop and deliver the programme; ensuring strong leadership of the DANCOP team, as well as excellent networks and relationships with our partners and stakeholders.
You’ll have line management responsibility for the Operations Manager and the Data and Research Manager and will work to ensure that all deliverables are achieved on schedule and efficiently.
This is a hybrid role, split between onsite work, external meetings where required, and remote working.
Please note, if you are interested in this role as a potential secondment opportunity, please ensure that your current line manager is aware of your intention to apply and discuss whether or not the secondment will be supported.
- Working closely with the Head of DANCOP in support of the management, development and delivery of the programme. This may include consultation with schools and colleges; development and analysis of relevant management information; negotiation with HE partners and other stakeholders; business planning and drafting budgets.
- Provide strong management and leadership through: setting objectives and carrying out appraisals, developing staff, and managing performance of the Operations Manager and the Data & Research Manager; motivating the team to achieve targets, milestones, and key performance indicators; supporting them to achieve this; ensuring that processes are robust and fit for purpose, suggesting, and making changes where necessary.
- Building relationships and supporting the performance of DANCOP-funded roles in partner institutions.
- Building networks and relationships to support the aims of DANCOP and Uni Connect e.g. working with both D2N2, the Derby Opportunity Area, Careers Enterprise Company etc and also not for profit organisations who may benefit from the strategic outreach work of DANCOP
- Support with the management of tasks and strategies relating to contracting, quality, monitoring and evaluation. This will include: working with Legal Services, lead on procurement and contracting for all Partner and third parties and DANCOP; developing quality management processes, systems and working practice, and directing others to develop these as required; in consultation with the steering group and evaluation partners, developing and implementing mechanisms to monitor/evaluate project activity and budget spend; analysing and interpreting data and preparing reports, supervising and/or liaising with others as appropriate.
- Provide strong leaderhsip for the DANCOP team by: acting as a support to the Head of DANCOP, deputising at meetings where required and sharing actions arising from Governance Board and Steering Group; ensuring there is strong cross-functional oversight of all teams and assist the Head in developing relationships across the partnership; ensuring that DANCOP meets the requirements set by the funder as well as the specific objectives set by the Governance Board and Steering Group. This includes supporting the review, transition and implementation of any revised strategic or operational plans and structures; producing reports and other information as required; managing and reporting on expenditure, including producing a monthly funding profile; and facilitating the production and dissemination of evaluation results; acting professionally and with discretion in supporting with the development of plans for DANCOP.
- Represent DANCOP at identified meetings, conferences and committees, making value judgements and influencing agendas where appropriate.
- Keep abreast of professional, regulatory and policy developments relating to education and widening participation, as relevant to the project. In consultation with the Head of DANCOP and steering group, identify and implement adjustments as required.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Continuing Professional Development.
This is not a complete list of all duties and responsibilities, the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties commensurate with the level and skills/qualifications of this role.
- A first degree or relevant professional experience
- Ability to adapt to change, while supporting and encouraging others to do so
- An understanding of and commitment to working in an inclusive manner, and supporting and encouraging others to do so
- Substantial recent relevant experience of management, particularly in an education environment
- Experience of project management
- Experience of managing or leading others
- Experience of working with senior leadership with professionalism
- Experience of budget management
- Experience of working in collaboration with external partners
Skills, knowledge & abilities
- Expert, in-depth knowledge and understanding of widening participation issues, policies and good practice, including barriers to entry to higher education and how to address these
- Knowledge of relevant education, further education, adult education and higher education policy
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong leadership skills to empower other members of the team
- Ability to use data to inform plans and evaluate progress
- Experience of change management and ability to support and encourage others through transition
- Well organised and able to meet complex and conflicting deadlines
- Ability to use initiative and deal with difficult and complex situations professionally
- Flexible approach to support all members of the DANCOP team as required
- Willingness and flexibility to hybrid work, at home and on site, with occasional travel and work between University and external sites in a cost effective and timely manner, particularly across Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire
- Experience of procuring contracts with third party suppliers
Skills, knowledge & abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of Careers Education Information & Guidance frameworks and key stakeholders, including the role of the Careers Enterprise Company and Gatsby benchmarking in schools for example
As well as competitive pay scales, we offer generous holiday entitlement. We also offer opportunities for further salary progression based on performance, and the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme.
Find out more about pay and benefits
How to apply
You can apply by submitting an online application. Once you have signed in or registered with us you will be able to begin your application. If you are creating an account for the first time, please ensure you provide an email address that you access regularly as this will be our main means of contacting you regarding your application.
If you require any assistance, including the provision of any documentation in an alternative format, please contact the Recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note all applications must be submitted online by Midnight GMT on the closing date of the vacancy.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications.
We recommend you take time to read the government guidance on individual eligibility requirements for sponsorship to check you will meet the criteria prior to applying. Skilled Worker visa: Your job - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
If you have any questions regarding sponsorship please contact HRUKVI@derby.ac.uk.
Our number one priority is to keep our staff, students and community safe as we continue to work through the pandemic. Upon appointment, full training will be given on the Health and Safety processes we follow.
Find out how we are ensuring the safety of our staff, students and community
Download Deputy Head of DANCOP job description
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect everyone who works for us to also share this commitment and to treat people with courtesy and respect.