About the role
The University is looking to appoint a qualified Accountant to join the Business Accounting team. The role will require the provision of high level financial and business information, direction and advice to a range of internal customers, the ability to identify and manage risk, and to ensure the financial integrity of business operations. The post holder will work closely with designated College/Departments to deliver the above.
This is a pivotal role to the financial management of University activity. Reporting into the Senior Business Accountant, you will be responsible for providing management information for the financial planning and monitoring of diverse activities within Colleges/Departments. For specified areas, you will lead the monthly Management Accounting cycle, Budget preparation and periodic Forecast submissions, providing analysis and commentary to enhance the decision making of budget holders, looking to drive continuous financial improvement.
Experience of the Higher Education sector is highly desirable.
The role will require a pro-active approach to work, as well as demonstrable interpersonal skills to enable the post holder to build strong and effective working relationships with colleagues at all levels, including senior managers.
Leadership & Management
- To be an integral member of the College/Department Executive and SMT, fully contributing to the development and implementation of College/Department strategic plans, and to the monitoring and control of business performance.
- To prepare and present College Performance Report & Financial Performance Report / Key Indicators as required.
- To be an integral member of the Finance Leadership & Management Team and contribute to the development and implementation of the University financial strategy
- To work proactively with all senior managers including Pro Vice-Chancellors, PVC Deans, Deans, Directors and SMTs to contribute to the University’s corporate objectives.
- To inform and influence the business direction of the College/Department, working with SMTs to develop strategies for improvements in returns at an acceptable level of risk.
- To establish and maintain a business planning approach for all activities and projects within the College/Department.
- To evaluate the financial impact of alternative scenarios in order to maximise use of resources and financial returns.
- To prepare, analyse and interpret profitability of different business segments/income streams.
- To understand & interpret financial & business intelligence and financial & business Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) to inform and influence business decision-making.
- To evaluate and authorise business development proposals, ensuring benefits are clearly identified and that proposals are financially and commercially robust.
This will include the utilisation of financial investment appraisal techniques together with the provision of costing and pricing advice and support.
- To undertake post investment appraisal, evaluating and reporting on benefits realised (both financial and business) and ensuring such benefits are fully reflected in future financial plans.
- To provide financial and commercial analysis, advice and support on contract negotiations (Including pricing) and contract management.
Budgets & Forecasts
- To lead the preparation of the annual budget and periodic forecasts, for consideration, agreement and submission by PVC Deans, Dean or Director, ensuring an integration of business plans with financial budgets and forecasts.
- To interpret Financial Guidelines and advise PVC Deans, Deans, Directors and SMT of their impact on the business area.
- To establish and maintain a business ethos within the College/Department, challenging and negotiating with relevant budget managers to ensure delivery of a budget submission in line with University Affordability and a forecast submission in line with budget.
- To take a proactive role in the identification of financial & business risks and in the identification and recommendation of options to mitigate any adverse effects of income shortfalls or cost overruns.
- To produce, analyse and interpret management accounts to inform and influence business decisions, meeting with PVC Deans, Deans, Directors, SMT members & budget holders to provide financial and business advice and direction.
- To prepare reports on financial and business performance, detailing key results, analysis and explanations of major variances.
- To extrapolate the impact of underlying drivers and advise on future actions to ensure budget achievement.
Staff / Systems Development
- To play a key role in enhancing the levels of financial knowledge and financial management skills throughout the organisation.
- To design and deliver University wide Finance Training courses, under the OPD umbrella, and to provide be-spoke training and staff development support to SMT and budget holders within the Faculty/Department.
- To contribute to the design, development and implementation of enhancements to financial planning and performance models, systems and procedures.
Financial Control & Advice
- To provide a professional point of contact for all managers on matters relating to financial policies and practices, offering advice guidance, support and information as required.
- To provide professional guidance and direction to College and Department Finance Officers
- To authorise all staff recruitment forms, evaluating the business case for any new posts and ensuring that all recruitment is consistent with College/Department strategy & financial plans.
As well as competitive pay scales, we offer generous holiday entitlement. We also offer opportunities for further salary progression based on performance, and the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme.
Find out more about pay and benefits
How to apply
You can apply by submitting an online application. Once you have signed in or registered with us you will be able to begin your application. If you are creating an account for the first time, please ensure you provide an email address that you access regularly as this will be our main means of contacting you regarding your application.
If you require any assistance, including the provision of any documentation in an alternative format, please contact the Recruitment team at email@example.com.
Please note all applications must be submitted online by Midnight GMT on the closing date of the vacancy.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications.
Whilst this role is eligible for sponsorship under the Skilled Worker Route, we recommend that you assess your individual eligibility before applying for this position.
Visit https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa for more information.
Our number one priority is to keep our staff, students and community safe as we continue to work through the pandemic. Upon appointment, full training will be given on the Health and Safety processes we follow.
Find out how we are ensuring the safety of our staff, students and community
Download Business Accountant job description
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect everyone who works for us to also share this commitment and to treat people with courtesy and respect.