How to Request the Information as a Public Authority - Data Protection - University of Derby

How to Request the Information as a Public Authority

Who can request the release of information

Organisations that have a crime prevention, law enforcement or tax collection function may require personal information held by us to prevent or detect a crime, apprehend or prosecute an offender, or for taxation and benefit purposes.

These organisations can submit requests:

  • Police
  • HM Revenue and Customs
  • Child Support Agency
  • Health and Safety Executive
  • Official receiver
  • Solicitors or another acting on your clients behalf
  • Solicitor acting on your client behalf, but asking for another’s data
  • Other local councils or public bodies, acting under authorised powers

We may be able to release this information by applying an exemption under the Data Protection Act 1998. There is no obligation on us to do so and even if the exemption applies we may decide that we will not release any information.

If we have genuine concerns about releasing any personal information (for example, because we think it has other legal obligations such as the information being confidential) then we may ask for a court order requiring release of the information.

How to make a request

Organisations wishing to request disclosure of personal information held by us must complete the request for disclosure of personal data form.

You can submit your request by emailing

Need Advice?

Contact or call (01332) 592151

Our Data Protection Officer is James Eaglesfield (01332) 591762
Our Deputy Data Protection Officer is Helen Rishworth (01332) 591954