Visa conditions - Visas and immigration - University of Derby

Visa Conditions

Questions about your visa during your studies

Listed below are the conditions attached to your Tier 4 visa. You must follow these conditions as failure to do so could lead to withdrawal from the course and the cancellation of your visa.

Your responsibilities

You must: 

  • Enrol/register for your course on time each semester. This includes September starters registering in January. You must bring your current passport and visa to the International Student Centre (ISC) each time you enrol/register.
  • Give the ISC up to date copies of your passport and visa when necessary.
  • Attend classes and contact your tutors if you are going to be absent (i.e. sickness). Your attendance records will be closely monitored by the ISC and your Faculty.
  • Follow the University’s rules and regulations.
  • Contact us immediately if you change your immigration status. For example, you switch from a Tier 4 visa to a Dependant visa.
  • Contact us if you defer/withdraw from your studies.
  • Make sure that we have your most up to date contact details (address, telephone number, e-mail address). We will need to contact you on a regular basis with important information.
  • Update the UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) with your most recent contact details.
  • Ensure that any visa extension application is made promptly and before your current visa expires. You may be withdrawn from your course if you do not make an in-time visa application or if your visa is refused.

Working whilst studying

Your visa will state how many hours you can work each week. If you hold a Student Visitor Visa you cannot work at all.

As a student at the University you can work whilst on a Tier 4 visa, but there are restrictions on the number of hours you are allowed to work each week: 

  • If you are studying at degree level or above you can work up to 20 hours each week.
  • If you are studying below degree level (e.g. the International Foundation Programme or English for Academic Purposes) you can work up to 10 hours each week.
  • If you are studying an Undergraduate Course on a Tier 4 Visa, during the official University Vacation as marked in the Academic Calendar 2017-2018, you are permitted to work full-time.
  • If you are studying a Postgraduate or a PHd Course you are restricted to working a maximum of 20 hours per week for the duration of your course. This is under review and you will be informed in due course if this changes.


More information on working in the UK

If you have any queries please e-mail