Dependants (family members)
Can I bring family members with me to the UK?
As a Tier 4 student you can bring family members to the UK as long as you meet one of the following criteria:
- You are government-sponsored and your course is over six months long, or
- You are studying a postgraduate course that is at least 12 months long, or
- You are already in the UK as a Student or Tier 4 visa holder with dependants and need to extend your visa to study a course that is at least six months long
Which family members can I bring with me?
Only the following family members can join you:
- Your husband, wife or civil partner
- Your unmarried or same-sex partner (must have lived together for two years)
- Your children (aged under 18, or over 18 but are already in the UK as a Dependant and need to extend their visa with you)
How do I apply for my Dependant’s visa?
When you apply for your visa you can include your Dependants in the same application. There will be options to state that you are applying with family members. The visa costs for including family members is the same as it costs for your application.
Please see Applying for Tier 4 for more information on costs and the documents required.
Do I need to show Maintenance funds for my Dependants?
For each Dependant you will need to show that you have enough funds available to support their living costs in the UK. This is in addition to the funds you have to show for yourself.
For each Dependant you need to show that you have £680 for each month of your course up to a maximum of nine months (£6,120). So if you are government-sponsored studying a seven month long course then you will need £4,760 (£680 x 7 months) available for your Dependant. Please see Maintenance (funds) for information on the documents you need to provide.