Other support services - Visa and welfare support - University of Derby

Support services

There is a clear link between your wellbeing and academic success. To give you the best chance of succeeding, we provide a wide range of face to face, telephone and online support.

Our International Student Support provides support to all our International students on any issue.

We also offer a confidential counselling service. You can also get independent advice and guidance from The Source in the Students’ Union. You will always be welcome in our Chaplaincy – our chaplains and faith advisers can give you personal and confidential support about any issue – it doesn’t have to be faith related.

Supporting your health

We will do all we can to help you to look after your health while you are here. Our nurses provide confidential consultations on a whole range of health issues, including lifestyle, sexual health, pregnancy and managing the impact of your studies on your health. Our Mental Health team offers support to anyone with a mental illness or who is concerned about their mental health. We are keen to work with you as soon as we can (even before you have started) to make sure you get the support you need. There is a doctors’ surgery on campus in Derby and three practices in Buxton, close to our Campus.

Supporting disabled students

We work closely with our disabled students. We would encourage you to talk to us about the support you will need as soon as you are thinking about coming to university. We offer advice and guidance at one to one appointments, drop in sessions and by phone and email. You can also come along to our Get Ahead programme at the beginning of term – it will give you the best possible start to your student life.

Supporting your faith

Our chaplains and faith advisers represent our diverse and multicultural community. They work across both our campuses, organising talks and discussion groups, fairtrade lunches, social justice campaigns and days out. And they’re always there if you need to talk to someone – about anything at all.

Visa support

We have a full time visa expert who is available on site to offer guidance and support whether you are applying for you visa before you come top the UK or have a question about extending your visa to continue with your studies. Make an appointment to speak to a member of the International Student Centre:

The International Student Centre is located in B001 at Kedleston Road.

Support with your course

If you need help and advice with your course, your module leader will help you with any problems you have with a specific module.

But if you need more general advice about your course, your course leader or a member of the Programme Advisory Service (PAS) team are the best people to contact.

Do you need legal advice?

You can receive free legal advice at the Derby Community Legal Advice Centre.

UKCISA - The UK Council for International Student Affairs

UKCISA is an independent, not for profit organisation that provides support to international students.

It produces lots of useful information sheets for international students

Contact UKCISA

T: +44 (0) 020 7107 9922 between 1pm and 4pm (UK time), Monday to Friday

W: www.ukcisa.org.uk