US Federal Loan
US citizens or eligible non-citizens enrolled on a course that is at least 50% full-time may be eligible for student aid loans from the US government for their studies. The University of Derby is authorised as a foreign school to provide loans under the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program. Please check Applying for Federal Loans for information on the necessary steps to receiving Federal loans.
Am I eligible?
For a student to be eligible for Direct Loans they must meet the following basic criteria:
- Be a US citizen or an eligible non-citizen (those who are permanent residents or refugees, for example).
- Have a valid social security number (SSN).
- If a male, must have registered for Selective Service (military draft) between the ages of 18 and 25.
- Not currently be in default on previous loan payments.
- Not have reached the limit on the amount of loans they can have outstanding.
- Be enrolled at least half-time on an eligible course.
Which courses can I receive aid for?
All degree programmes delivered in the UK at a Derby campus (Kedleston Road, Buxton) are eligible for aid. These include Foundation, Bachelors and Masters degrees. Federal loans cannot be issued for:
- Certificate programmes
- Diploma programmes
- Distance learning programmes (in whole or in part)
- Telecommunications or correspondence courses (in whole or in part)
- Direct assessment programmes
- Study abroad or student exchange agreements
- Nursing programmes
You will be notified if your course is eligible or not.
What are the types of loans I can receive?
There are three loan types that you can borrow to study at Derby:
Subsidised loans – an interest free loan for undergraduate students. There are annual and aggregate limits for how much you can borrow.
Unsubsidised loans – a loan with interest for both undergraduate and postgraduate students. There are annual and aggregate limits for how much you can borrow.
PLUS loans – a loan with a higher interest rate for postgraduate students or the parent of eligible undergraduate students who need additional funds to cover their cost of attendance (COA). There are no annual or aggregate limits for how much can be borrowed.
Please see How much you can borrow for information on the amounts you may be eligible for using these loans. Derby cannot disburse or administer any other types of loans or grants.