BA (Hons) Youth Work and Community Development
Why choose this course?
If you want to make a difference in the lives of children, young people and their families this is the degree for you. It enables individuals to make decisions about their lives, build personal resilience and reach their full potential. This is one of the largest professional youth and community work training courses in the country providing you with a challenging and worthwhile career.
Youth work is a hands-on, face-to-face skill set and process which enables young people aged 11-25 to learn the skills, knowledge, values, attitudes, beliefs and behaviours to support their transition from childhood to adulthood. It is a distinct educational process based on voluntary participation, equality of opportunity and empowerment enabling the holistic development of young people.
At Derby, we see youth work as taking place anywhere where young people are present and purposeful relationships can be built. It is about making a difference alongside young people, supporting young people in context within their families and communities and promoting the collaborative involvement of young people and their influence in their self-determination.
- Prepare for professional roles in public, voluntary and private organisations working with young people and communities
- With two additional professional endorsements, you’ll achieve a JNC professional qualification in youth work endorsed by the National Youth Agency (NYA) and an endorsement for community development by the Endorsement and Quality Standards Board for Community Development (ESB).
- There’s also a further professional qualification in youth justice if you select that pathway (Youth Justice in Effective Practice Certificate - YJEPC).
- We have an outstanding employability record: 100% of our graduates were in work or further study six months after finishing this course
- This relaunched course received fifteen commendations from the professional bodies and panel, including praise for student support, employer relations, local, national and international placements, innovative assessments, creative use of technology, an outstanding teaching team and exemplary integration of inter-professional working
Please note you are still able to apply directly to the University for this course for a September 2018 start. Please scroll down to the ‘How to apply’ section below.Show All