Geography allows us to explore Earth’s surface and the human societies who inhabit it.
It stimulates the minds of the naturally curious, asking how and why everything came to be - we inspire this level of curiosity in our Geography students through fieldtrips in the UK and overseas, a first-class teaching team, and facilities equipped to support the real world experience that employers look for.
Cutting-edge research underpins every aspect of our Geography courses. Our lecturers include active researchers, authors and consultants undertaking important projects worldwide. It means you’ll be kept in touch with the very latest theories and what’s new in the world of geography.
"A University where students are its highest priority"
"I chose to study Geography because it’s a very attractive degree to employers due to the variety of skills required. After looking at many Geography courses I chose the course at Derby as I really liked the range of modules offered. All of the staff were incredibly passionate and knowledgeable about their subjects - I would recommend this course to anyone wanting to study Geography at degree level at a university where students are its highest priority."
Fieldwork is central to our Geography courses, helping you see how reality differs from the text books. We take full advantage of the many interesting locations on our doorstep, such as nature reserves, sites of special scientific interest, ancient woodlands, quarries and the Peak District National Park. We also offer residential fieldtrips as an integral part of your studies. These could take you to locations as varied as the Lincolnshire coast, the Mediterranean and Morocco. You'll also have the opportunity to study abroad in the USA and Canada; an experience that stands out to employers.
A course to suit you
Our course gives you the chance to specialise in either the physical or human areas of geography - or a mixture of both - to help you map out your future career.
Our course is one of only a few degrees in the UK to be accredited by The Institute of Environmental Sciences.
- Our Geography course is ranked number one for student experience out of 74 other Higher Education providers (Times and Sunday Times, 2016)
- 100% of our Geography graduates were in work or further study within six months of completing this course (HESA, 2016)
- We have invested in up-to-date learning facilities including a spacial data laboratory which houses one of the best map collections of any UK university.
- You'll learn from our expert teaching team which include active researchers, authors and consultants undertaking important projects worldwide.
What our Geography graduates do
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- Environmental Consultant
- Water Quality Analyst
- Assistant Surveyor
- Transport Planning Consultant
- Outbound Advisor
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: