Forensic Science Courses
for Student Experience
(The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017)
Forensic Science plays a crucial role in criminal justice, separating the facts from the fiction.
Whether you’re fascinated by crime scene investigation or want to unravel the makeup of a criminal mind, we have the course for you. You’ll work alongside forensic scientists, fingerprint experts, police officers, lawyers and judges to gain a real insight into this exciting profession. To identify evidence, forensic scientists preserve the physical and chemical traces of a crime, taking great care to avoid contamination. You’ll be guided through this intricate process in our state-of-the-art Crime Scene House which has been specially designed to provide seven replica domestic and commercial crime scenes, including a blood spatter room and panoramic CCTV system to support your skills training.
"I had such a fantastic time at Derby"
"I had such a fantastic time at Derby - the facilities are very good and the lecturers have such a passion for what they are teaching which encourages students to learn. Within a week of finishing my last exam I interviewed for a Toxicology Analyst position at Orchid Cellmark - the job was offered to me on the same day which was great. My plan is to work for a year or two and get as much experience in a laboratory as possible, then I hope to come back to Derby to study MRes Forensic Science and continue with my dissertation research."
Our Crime Scene House boasts seven unique crime scene environments, each of which have been carefully designed to provide realistic learning spaces for you to investigate evidence and criminal activity. The scenes include:
- Two commercial premises which can be used for a range of scenarios including an office, convenience store and bank
Having access to varying scenes will prepare you for the incredibly diverse crime scenes that will emerge throughout your career.
Expert Teaching Team
You’ll be taught by active researchers who are incredibly passionate about their subjects and have many years of commercial forensic experience. Guest speakers, such as criminal justice professionals, judges and lawyers, will also share their remarkable experiences with you.
Accreditations and Endorsements
All our Forensic Science courses are endorsed by Skillsmark and our BSc (Hons) Forensic Science and BSc (Hons) Forensic Science with Criminology are accredited by The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences.
- Forensic Science at Derby is ranked number one for student experience according to the Times and Sunday Times League Table, 2017
- 100% of our BSc (Hons) Forensic Science students said that they were satisfied with the overall quality of the course (National Student Survey, 2016)
- 100% of our BSc (Hons) Forensic Science graduates were in work or further study within six months of completing the course (HESA, 2016)
- You will have the opportunity to undertake a year-long placement in a forensic imaging unit, footwear unit or forensic analytical service laboratories with our partner East Midlands Scientific Operations Unit (EMSOU)
What our Forensic Science graduates do
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- Forensic Technician
- Toxicology Analyst
- Police Officer
- DNA Analyst
- Investigative Researcher
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: