Fashion and Textiles courses
for Fashion and Textiles
(Guardian League Table 2017)
BA (Hons) Fashion (National Student Survey 2016)
Our fashion and textiles courses are part of a strong creative community where students and staff from all disciplines on a wide range of projects.
Take your ideas from concept to catwalk with our highly acclaimed fashion and textiles degrees. You’ll discover how to design original and inspiring collections which will give you the edge in the fast-paced global fashion industry. Thanks to our influential industry partnerships, we offer excellent opportunities for you to gain experience through work placements and real world projects. This practical, work-focused teaching means our graduates have a great track record in producing award-winning designs. Two years in a row, a Derby student has won the St Andrews Young Designer Awards – the perfect springboard to a successful career in fashion.
Everything I learned at University is now the foundation of my working life!
"My degree gave me the important skills to get where I am today and helped me develop as a person through some fantastic opportunities. Everything I learned, including hand-drawn design work, digital design, garment manufacture and production, is now the foundation of my working life.”
Winner of the top prize at the 2014 St Andrews Young Designer Awards and now a junior designer with Manchester-based Chilli Apparel.
Join our creative community where students and staff from all disciplines collaborate on a wide range of fashion and textiles projects.
- Study in our brand new £3 million dedicated fashion and textiles facility at Chandos Pole Street. We are the only university in the UK to own two Jacquard looms
- Build your experience and contacts through work placements and live projects
- Showcase your work at major events and exhibitions including our Degree Show
- Our optional work placement year can lead to an extra qualification, the Diploma in Professional Practice
The £21m Markeaton Street site was created specifically for arts, design and technology courses with purpose-built studios and specialist facilities for all our art, design, media and performing arts students.
What our Fashion and Textiles graduates do
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- fashion design/forecasting
- childrenswear, menswear, womenswear and knitwear design
- fashion and textile print design
- furnishing and interior design fabrics
- postgraduate study
- trend prediction
You could also go on to study our MA Fashion and Textiles postgraduate degree.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: