English, Creative Writing and Publishing Courses
BA (Hons) English (National Student Survey 2016)
Our English, creative writing and publishing degrees will inspire you to build new perspectives, create inspiring and engaging copy, and change the way you think about language.
On our courses you’ll explore literature from across the world, learn about publishing as a creative industry, study language and the manipulation of words, and examine the associated theories and themes.
You will be taught by our experienced writers and academics who will show you how to analyse texts and develop your ability in sharing your thinking and presenting your interpretations, as well as creating new pieces of work and experimenting with your writing style.
Our lecturers include award-winning and internationally respected novelists, short story writers, poets, songwriters, performers, scriptwriters, editors, publishers, agents and new media writers.
With our own in-house publishing unit and some great placement opportunities, we’ll help you gain relevant experience to boost your CV and give you a head start in your career.
- Course search
- Visit us
- Order your prospectus
- What our students say
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- Professional development and short courses
- Part-time study
- Online learning
- Study abroad
- Careers and employment
- Fees and finance
- Student life and support
- Contact us
“Definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made”
“I wanted to do something different, that would challenge me, that I would enjoy, and that would take my career in a different direction. I chose to do an English degree at Derby because I have always enjoyed reading, the course looked stimulating and I found the University campus welcoming. It was definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made.
“I can honestly say I have enjoyed every lecture I have attended over the course of my English degree. I have been introduced to such a wide range of literature, from Greek mythology to existentialism; we have covered a fascinating variety of topics.”
This is English, Creative Writing and Publishing
- You can choose to spend a semester of your second year studying at one of our partner universities in the USA, or take part in our Go Places, Go Further scheme and spend up to one year studying in a partner European university. Explore a new country, understand a new culture and make new friends while broadening your education
- As well as gaining a degree in a highly regarded academic subject, you will be able to demonstrate experience of leading, debating, presenting, reasoning and teamwork
- Work placements on projects with the Derby Book Festival or Writing East Midlands, the region’s writer development agency, mean you will be applying what you learn in your subject and enhancing your CV
- Gain practical experience of writing, editing and publishing through our in-house unit, Peregrine Publishing (launching spring 2017)
- Fieldtrips form an important part of our courses and we run regular study visits to cinemas, film festivals, theatres, museums, galleries and heritage centres.
What our English, Creative Writing and Publishing Writing graduates do
Our English, creative writing and publishing degrees are inspiring, relevant and designed to give you the best start in your career.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: