Our academics have all gained extensive experience in industry and continue to undertake research or consultancy to keep their knowledge fresh and relevant.
You will also find them friendly, approachable and supportive.
Discover more about the people teaching you
We've interviewed the key people running this programme so you can find out more about their expertise and background:
Polina Baranova – Programme Leader for the MBA Global
Polina is the Programme Leader for the MBA and a Senior Lecturer in Strategic Management. She has an experienced background working in consultancy and logistics and has led a number of national and multinational consultancy projects.
Cedric Nkiko – Academic Lead (Business), University of Derby Online
Cedric works for the University of Derby Online (UDOL), which runs the MBA jointly with the University’s College of Business. As well as teaching, he has worked internationally as a sustainability management consultant for the last 15 years.
Insightful guest speakers
In addition to our in-house teaching team, we also invite specialists from industry to come in and give talks or take part in events. Their expertise is based on years of practical experience in a particular field, sector or profession.
Some of our recent visitors included:
- Dame Vivienne Westwood, world-renowned fashion designer, climate change campaigner and businesswoman
- Mel Morris, co-founder of King Digital, the company behind Candy Crush Saga and Owner and Chairman of Derby County Football Club
- Richard Gerver, celebrated and international speaker on change, leadership and education
- Graham Mulholland, Managing Director for epm: technology group, a leader in high-performance engineering
- Claude Littner, British business executive and former Chairman of Viglen, who's become known for his tough interviewing style on BBC's The Apprentice.
As well as individual guest speakers, we also have links with these influential organisations:
- United Nations
- Toyota Manufacturing UK
- East Midlands Trains
- Derby County Football Club
- Derbyshire Constabulary
- NHS East Midlands
- Derbyshire County Council.
These organisations work with us in a variety of ways. For example, by acting as mentors, providing placement opportunities, allowing us to visit their sites and observe their work first-hand, or giving our students real project briefs to work on.