Criminology and Policing Courses
University for Criminology
(Guardian League Table 2018)
Our exciting, hands-on courses will take you to the heart of policing and criminal investigation, with opportunities to work on real cases, assist the police in public order exercises, visit prisons and much more.
Study criminology and policing at Derby and you’ll build a solid understanding of criminal justice and enforcement. You’ll also be able to specialise in key areas such as the police, probation service and youth offending teams; agencies in which many of our lecturers have already worked. You’ll benefit from their knowledge as they share their insights of criminology and policing in practice. You’ll also have access to their networks through guest lectures from professionals working within these areas - enabling you to build all the skills you’ll need for your career.
As the home of the International Policing and Justice Institute, the University of Derby enjoys a world-class reputation for police education and research, which you will be able to take full advantage of during your Criminology and Policing studies.
- Course search
- Visit us
- Order your prospectus
- What our students say
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- Professional development and short courses
- Part-time study
- Online learning
- Study abroad
- Careers and employment
- Student fees and finance
- Student life and support
- Contact us
“Staff definitely go that extra mile”
“The Criminology and Policing course provided plenty of opportunities to talk to practitioners, visit courts and prisons, and to participate in a mock murder inquiry looking at crime scene work. We looked at real cases, interviewed offenders, and carried out our own research projects. This opportunity was vital to our understanding of criminal behaviours and rehabilitation issues.
“I highly recommend the University of Derby, the teaching is great and the open door policy is second to none. Staff definitely go that extra mile.”
This is Criminology and Policing
- Criminology is ranked Top 20 in the Guardian University League Tables 2018, taught by our teaching team who won the National Award for Excellence in Teaching Criminology 2017
- Study at One Friar Gate Square, our dedicated centre for the study of law, criminology and policing. Among its specialist facilities are law courts and interview suites
- Get hands-on experience of investigating crime scenes in our Forensic Training Facility, a crime scene house in a residential street
- You’ll develop your skills in problem-solving, communication, negotiation and building relationships; all are transferable skills that prepare you for your chosen career
- Through our partnerships with organisations including the College of Policing and the FBI you’ll have opportunities to build your experience through visits, fieldtrips, volunteering and placements
- Gain a global perspective on your studies - spend a semester of your second year studying at one of our partner universities in the USA, or take part in our Go Places, Go Further scheme and spend up to one year at one of our partner universities across the globe.
What our Criminology and Policing graduates do
Our criminology and policing degrees are innovative and challenging. They’ll give you the skills you need to pursue a career in a variety of areas.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- Crown Prosecution Service
- probation and prison services
- youth offending teams
- law enforcement agencies.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: