Certificate in Ready Mixed Concrete Technology
Why choose this course?
- We've developed this course with employers in the construction industry, so you can be sure you're learning relevant and up to date information.
- You'll develop your knowledge of concrete mix design, using ready mixed concrete and product quality.
- You'll gain a nationally recognised qualification, which will help to set you apart from others in the industry.
Course code: CAAFN
Start date(s): October
Course length: Part time - seven months
Programme Level: Level 4
Concrete is an important construction material. This course develops your knowledge about aggregates, cement and concrete, and the standards, specifications and other requirements that apply to them. It includes aspects such as the methods used to sample and test aggregates and ready mixed concrete in a safe way.
You will also focus on the principles of concrete mix design, the methods of making and using ready mixed concrete and knowledge of the techniques used to manage product quality so as to satisfy the needs of your producers and customers.
You'll mainly study online, and you will come to Derby for three weekend tutorials during the seven month course. These consist of a mixture of classroom teaching and discussion with teaching staff and other students.
You'll receive course materials in electronic form, and you'll also have electronic access to our library and other learning resources.
The course runs over seven months. You'll need to fit it around your work commitments, so you'll need to be self motivated and be able to set aside time each week for study.
Throughout the course you'll study one module which covers the following subject areas:
- Practical understanding of sampling and testing methods of aggregates
- Procedures used to determine the characteristics of aggregates that are appropriate to the intended end-use
- Principles of concrete technology
- The range of raw materials used in ready mixed concrete
- Methods of specifying, sampling, testing and quality control in ready mixed concrete
- The characteristics of cement bound granular mixtures used in road construction
- Practical knowledge of the site activities related to the use of ready mixed concrete in routine civil engineering construction
- The ways that samples and tests can be carried out safely
You will apply these concepts and theories through problem solving, supported by your own experience and observations in industry.
You'll study online, and you'll have the opportunity to come to Derby for three tutorials over the year. Here you'll work face to face with our specialist academic staff, all of whom have extensive experience within the industry. It's also an opportunity to meet colleagues in your sector - swapping ideas and sharing best practice.
Your course materials are in an interactive electronic format and are released to you throughout the year. You'll have full online access to our library and other learning resources.
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through a combination of assignments and a final exam.
UK and EU students
* These fees apply if you're starting this course between September 2015 and August 2016. We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change.
On successful completion of this course you can progress on to the University Certificate in Concrete Technology, where you'll receive an exemption from the first module.
If you have experience in ready mixed concrete, as well as positive support from your employer, we will welcome your application.