In this section
MA Creative Writing
Why choose this course?
- This practice based taught MA is designed to develop, hone and extend your writing. It is intended to prepare you for a successful career as an arts professional.
- The programme offers you a range of tutor- and peer-led opportunities to produce new writing and critically reflect on that practice. We focus on the expressive potential and persuasive power of language whilst encouraging you to critically explore texts and their relationship to the world.
- The course will develop writing; be that in prose, poetry, life writing, creative non-fiction, script-writing or in combination or discussion across these forms. In addition, three industry-specific pathways have been developed to focus on employability in specific sectors:
- Creative Writing for Advertising offers modules which allows students to work on professional writing for clients, from communications to community campaigns.
- Creative Writing for Gaming offers modules which focus on character and narrative design, gamification and digital games.
- Creative Writing with Publishing allows students to focus on the production of books by taking two modules from our successful and well regarded MA Publishing.
- The degree without a specialist pathway maintains a strong focus on employability. All students receive advice and guidance from working writers who will take you through contracts and tax, the business of publishing and how to run a workshop.
- The course gives all students the opportunity to undertake arranged work experience in the arts or in communication. Graduates leave this MA with a portfolio of their own writing, prepared for a career as arts professionals (including but not limited to publication) and progression to doctoral level study.