Places to go and further resources
Derby is a relatively small and safe city. It is also relatively accepting and there isn't a large amount of reported homophobic or transphobic violence, but as with any city you should be careful.
For an up-to-date list of gay friendly venues in Derby and Buxton contact: Derbyshire Friend. Derbyshire Friend is a service run by and for gender and sexual minorities (GSM) living in Derby and Derbyshire. They provide advice, information and support as well as organising social occasions within the City.
The University also has an Equality and Diversity site, which links to information about events such as LGBT History Month and IDAHO (International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia)
- Stonewall National charity for lesbian, gay and bisexual people
- PFLAG Support for Parents, Friends & Family of Lesbians and Gay People (Trans inclusive)
- GIRES Information for Tran’s people, their families and professionals
- Galop LGBT+ domestic abuse helpline (08452 60 44 60)
- Derbyshire LGBT+ LGBT+ support and advocacy service for Derby and Derbyshire
- UKIA UK Intersex Association
- Keshet UK charity support service for LGBT+ Jews
- Nonbinary.org Nonbinary gender visibility, education and advocacy network
- Imaan LGBTQI Muslim support group
- Two: 23 LGBT Christian page. Includes a list of National LGBT Christian groups in the UK
- LGBTIQA terminology Terminology