Other support available - Care Leavers & Estranged Students - University of Derby

Other support available

Health & Psychological Wellbeing

We have a doctor's surgery, Park Medical Practice, based at our Kedleston Road campus and the Student Wellbeing Nurse is also available to help students with any health queries. If you want to register with Park Medical Practice your mentor can assist you with this process.

Our Psychological Wellbeing Service can offer a free service to students with a maximum of 6 sessions.

Mental Health

If you have a mental health concern, we advise that you share this on your UCAS or direct entry form, or talk to us directly at Student Wellbeing before you start your course. We can then discuss what your support needs are whilst at the University of Derby.

Disability Support

If you have a disability or learning difference such as dyslexia, we advise that you share this on your UCAS or direct entry form. Once we have received this information, Student Wellbeing will get in touch with you.

Student Wellbeing

You can approach Student Wellbeing at any stage of your studies to discuss what support we can offer. You can also talk to your mentor who will be able to help you to access Student Wellbeing.

Our student advisers from Student Wellbeing will help you to set up any support you may need. If you have a long term health, mental health condition, or specific learning difficulty, you may be eligible for Disabled Students Allowance. Your mentor and Student Wellbeing can help you with this application process. We will also work with you to ensure that a Support Plan is put together, so that the University can ensure that you receive appropriate support.

Child Care Support

We can help you to access any funding available to help with child care costs.

Career Development Centre

You may need advice and guidance on your career path, or even what voluntary or vacation work may help you with employment after you graduate. Your mentor can help you to access the Career Development Centre.


The University will not normally share information about any student with any third party without the student's expressed permission, except in cases where: 

The student poses a serious threat to themselves or others

There is a safeguarding concern

There is an issue of terrorism

The University has a statutory duty to provide this information

The University may share information to ensure the consistency of the support offered and will wherever possible seek your permission. However, where permission cannot be gained, limited factual information may still be shared where it is in your best interest.