Our reputation for sport is one of the fastest growing in the country
We are currently at our highest ever position in BUCS having moved 57 places since we launched Team Derby in 2009. Our football club play at our long time partners Derby County Football Training Ground whilst the Cricket team use the 3aaa County Ground for their training needs. Our Performance Track Cycling team use the Derby Arena Velodrome whilst our other performance teams (Basketball; Men’s & Women’s Volleyball, Men’s & Women’s Badminton) are based in our £10.8million sports centre.
Olympians Donna Kellogg; Gail Emms; Rajiv Ouspeh; Marcus Ellis, Lauren Smith and Jack Burnell have all worn the orange and blue of Team Derby and represented Great Britain at the Olympic Games – our sports scholarship and bursaries scheme offers scholarships up to £6000 and student athlete performance package underpinned by a Performance Sports team led by 2016 Olympic Gold Medal winning Coach, Craig Keegan.
Study, Play and Compete
- We offer a wide range of sports courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level across our Derby and Buxton campuses, covering disciplines including sports science, coaching, exercise, development and management.
- Our Union of Students is the focal point for the delivery of sport at the University and provide students with the chance to join teams and compete against other universities. Together with Team Derby, we offer a wealth of sport, health and fitness opportunities for everyone looking to get active or try something new, whatever their level of fitness or ability.
- We enter 48 teams across 16 sports in the national BUCS programme, providing our students with the opportunity to represent Derby against other universities in a competitive environment.
- Even if you aren’t at all active, or interested in sport, we can help you reach your goals. We offer various different packages from well-being seminars to help with diet and eating well to movement support and unpressured fun activity. Email email@example.com to start your journey or visit teamderby.com.
- Social Sport offers activities that are available to ALL University of Derby students and staff members throughout the year. Providing an opportunity to be active in a fun and social environment, with the chance to play recreationally or competitively.
- Team Derby provides scholarships and bursaries to talented student athletes and those with coaching aspirations, enabling them to achieve both their sporting and academic potential.
- A Performance Sport programme has also been established to support our leading sports teams – Men’s Basketball, Badminton, Cycling and Volleyball, our Performance Sports are provided with specialist coaching, strength and conditioning, and physiotherapy support.
Services and expertise
- We offer a wide range of education, research and consultancy services for the sports industry, utilising our academic expertise and student body to grow and develop sport both regionally and nationally.