Loan categories and fines
Students can borrow up to 15 items at a time, and research students can borrow a maximum of 20 items.
To improve the availability of library stock for everyone we charge fines when items are not returned or renewed on time. The amount charged depends on the length of time the item can be loaned for.
Charges apply throughout the year. The maximum charge on any one item is £20 per transaction. You'll temporarily lose your borrowing rights if items are not returned, and you have more than £5.00 owing on your account. Fines are charged according to type of loan:
|Type of Loan||Length of Loan||What to look for||Fines Charged|
|Standard||Three weeks||10p per day up to a maximum of £20.00|
|One week||One week||Yellow spine label||50p per day up to a maximum of £20.00|
|Restricted||Reference only – cannot be borrowed||Pink Label|
|Restricted||May be borrowed within the Campus (three hours only)||Blue Label|
|Reference||Cannot be borrowed||Red Label|
In the following cases we'll request that an item is either replaced or the replacement cost is paid for in full:
- The item is 28 days past its return date
- The item has been lost
- The item is damaged beyond repair
- The item is returned with a part missing e.g. book without a disc.
How to Pay:
|Online via your Library Account||Anytime|
|At any Library Reception Desk||During Library Open Hours
|By phone: 01332 591215||During Library Open hours
School practice items
These items may only be borrowed by students registered for education courses
Off air recording
ERA licensed recordings
Under the terms of the ERA licence, these recordings:
- can be used off campus for educational purposes
- are issued for 1 week, provided that the item has not been booked in advance for any time during the required period
- may be renewed at the Library. Telephone renewals are not permitted
- fines accrue on each overdue item at 50p for the first 15 minutes and 50p per hour thereafter, to a maximum of £20.
Open University recordings
- can only be used in the Library or a classroom on the campus where the item is held
- are issued at the service desk
- are issued for 4 hours from the time of issue