Requesting a Thesis
Theses are now directly obtainable from EThOS, the British Library's new service for the delivery of PhD theses published by UK universities.
If you require a thesis, you can obtain it directly in electronic format to your PC desktop. You no longer need to request using the Inter Library Loans service.
EThOS Electronic Theses Online Service
Follow this pathway to use EThOS:
- Go to the EThOS website and log on. On your first visit register for the service by completing a short web form.
- Search for the thesis you require across a database of over 400,000+ titles
- If the item has been scanned it will be available for immediate download.
- Click on the link to download the document. The item is delivered to your PC in a zip file and is readily opened. There is no charge involved.
- If the thesis hasn't yet been scanned, a catalogue record may be present. Following your request for the title, the British Library will then seek to obtain it from its host institution, will scan it and place it on EThOS. Allow two to three weeks for this to take place (although this may be quicker) and you will then be able to log on to access and download the item. There may be a charge for this service.
- Some titles are only available for a fee. If you do not wish to pay please contact the Inter Library Loan service.
- If your thesis title or institution search fails, then request the item conventionally using the Inter Library Loans service.