Receiving articles by email
The British Library will send articles and chapters directly to the email address you supplied on your inter library loan request form. This service is called Secure Electronic Delivery (SED).
The emails containing the links to your items will arrive from email@example.com
Before you can access your documents you will need to:
- register for a free On Demand account with the British Library
- ensure that you have Adobe Reader 10 (or above) or Adobe Digital Editions installed on your computer
How to receive journal articles and book chapters by email:
- Submit your request for the article or book chapter using our inter library loan request form and choose ‘Secure Electronic Delivery’ as the Delivery Method.
- The British Library will send you an email containing a link to the requested document. If you have already registered for an On Demand account, skip to step 6 below.
- Click on the link and select ‘Register for On Demand' on the download page.
- Follow the instructions on screen to complete the registration process.
- Wait 5 minutes and then return to the download page (if necessary you can open the download page again by clicking on the link in the email).
- Click ‘Download your document’ and enter your On Demand username and password to access the document.
We recommend using Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Safari as your browser. You may use Google Chrome, but you will need to disable the Chrome PDF viewer before your documents can be opened on your computer.
If you have forgotten your On Demand username or password, you can request a reminder.
The download link from the British Library will expire after 30 days so please print or save a copy of the document as soon as possible.
You will only be able to print your document once, so please ensure that your printer is working and (if you are printing from a University PC) that you have sufficient print credit first.
You will be able to access a saved document on your device for up to 3 years.
How to get help
For assistance with registering for an On Demand account, please see our ILL SED Registration Guide
If you are having problems accessing your document, check if your question is answered in the British Library On Demand FAQs.
If you need further help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +44 (0)1332 591215.