External borrowers and visitors
You are very welcome to visit our University libraries.
SCONUL Access scheme
If you are a student from another University in the UK or the Republic of Ireland you may be interested in the SCONUL Access scheme.
Post-graduate, part-time, distance, and placement students can apply to join the scheme in order to borrow materials from the University of Derby libraries. Members will also be provided with limited access to computing facilities.
Full-time undergraduate students may be able to join the scheme to use the University's resources for reference only.
General external borrowers
The Library staff are available to help you make the best use of resources and facilities and we ask that you observe our Code of Conduct. If you would like to borrow books from our collection you need to register as an external borrower.
Before your visit please check our library opening times as these can vary throughout the academic year.
Membership entitles you to:
- Five Standard Loan items at any one time
- Standard loans are issued for 3 weeks
- You can't borrow any other loan type
How to apply:
- Application forms are available from the service desks at any of our libraries
- A £50 annual charge is required
- A £25 annual charge for Alumni membership
- Items can be renewed up to 10 times
- using the Library Catalogue
- at a service desk using your library card
- over the telephone by calling 01332 591215
- by e-mail using firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fines on overdue items are charged at 10 pence per day to a maximum of £20, by which time the borrower will have been invoiced for a replacement copy
Please be aware that your library card is not transferable, and a £5 charge is made for replacement cards. Items can not be renewed if they have been requested by another borrower. External borrowers are not able to place reservations on items, and outstanding debts over £5 will prevent borrowers from issuing and renewing items. Library cards do not allow access to Computing Services facilities.