Britannia Mill Library (Derby)
Is there easy access to the Britannia Mill Library?
The Library is on the second floor of the Britannia Mill building. It can be accessed using the central stairway or by one of the two accessible lifts (no key required).
Are there any accessible toilet facilities?
There is an accessible toilet located outside the Library entrance opposite the lifts.
What computers and assistive software are available?
There are computers, printers and scanners available.
All student computers have Windows 10 installed which has inbuilt assistive features
All computers have Apps Anywhere with the following programs:-
- TextHelp Read & Write software - reads aloud pages of text (web pages, word documents, PDF files). Useful for people who find it difficult to read large quantities of text online, The 'Speak as I Type' function is useful as a proof-reading tool when typing in Word.
- MindGenius - mind-mapping software that helps you capture, visualise and manage your ideas and information. It's useful for organising your ideas, planning, essay preparation and revising. It suits learners with a visual learning style.
- Inspiration - mind-mapping software that suits learners with a visual learning style.
All student computers come with QuickScan which can be used to assess learning styles. Student Wellbeing Service (SWS) may refer students to complete a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) assessment using this software. Further advice is available from the SWS.
Also available on specified computers:-
- Jaws which is screen reading software
- Zoomtext is a magnifier / reader.
Please ask a member of staff if you want advice about these.
There is currently 1 height adjustable workstation and there will be another in the Green Zone in May 2018
What assistive equipment can I borrow?
The following equipment is available for loan by students with support plans. To borrow items you will need a form signed by an advisor from the Student Wellbeing Service
- Voice recorders
- Electronic dictionaries
- Digital cameras (available from the Markeaton Street Equipment Centre)
What photocopying facilities are there?
There are multifunctional devices (MFDs) providing photocopying and scanning facilities. Materials can be enlarged or copied onto coloured paper - please ask a member of staff if you need help with this.
What facilities are there for users with hearing aids?
An induction hearing loop is available at our library counter for users with a hearing aid