Britannia Mill Library (Derby)
Is there easy access to the Britannia Mill Library?
The Library is on the second floor of the Britannia Mill building. It can be accessed using the central stairway or by one of the two accessible lifts (no key required).
Are there any accessible toilet facilities?
There is an accessible toilet located outside the Library entrance opposite the lifts.
What computers and assistive software are available?
There are computers, printers and scanners available. All networked computers have:-
- TextHelp Read & Write software - reads aloud pages of text (web pages, word documents, PDF files). Useful for people who find it difficult to read large quantities of text online, The 'Speak as I Type' function is useful as a proof-reading tool when typing in Word.
- MindGenius - mind-mapping software that helps you capture, visualise and manage your ideas and information. It's useful for organising your ideas, planning, essay preparation and revising. It suits learners with a visual learning style.
- Vu-Bar - an on-screen, slotted reading ruler. Useful for those with dyslexia, when reading a lot of text.
- Windows 7 with its own inbuilt assistive features.
- A ScannaR can be made available on request. This is a scanner which can scan text and read it back.
- A height adjustable workstation with a large screen monitor attached to a PC which has Zoomtext installed
What assistive equipment can I borrow?
The following equipment is available for loan by students with support plans. To borrow items you will need a form signed by an advisor from the Student Wellbeing Service
- Voice recorders
- Electronic dictionaries
- Digital cameras
What photocopying facilities are there?
There are photocopiers providing black & white and colour copying. Materials can be enlarged or copied onto coloured paper - please ask a member of staff if you need help with this.
What facilities are there for users with hearing aids?
An induction hearing loop is available at our library counter for users with a hearing aid