A Decade of Success at the Devonshire Dome
The University of Derby Buxton Campus is proud to be celebrating ten years of success at the historic Devonshire Dome.
Work to restore and renovate the Grade II* listed building into a state of the art university facility and real world learning environment took over five years to complete. But since opening its doors as the University of Derby in 2006, the Buxton Campus has delivered a wealth of achievements including:
- Becoming a Top 10 UK University for Degrees in Hospitality, Tourism, Events and Spa Management (2017 Guardian league table)
- Launching the world’s first Spa Management degree
- Developing partnerships with key industry bodies including the Institute of Hospitality and the Institute of Travel and Tourism
- Providing student placement opportunities with international organisations such as the Ritz Carlton and Marriot Hotels
- Hosting major events such as the Northern Design Awards
An economic impact report, commissioned to mark the institution’s ten years in the town has revealed that five hundred jobs are supported by the £32 million worth of spending generated each year by the University of Derby’s Buxton Campus.
The report estimated that for every £1 spent by the University, a further £1.36 was generated by other industries through what is known as the “knock-on” effect from employees’ spending power plus business given to suppliers of goods and services.
During the academic year of 2015/16, the Buxton Campus will be playing host to a range of events to further highlight its impact with students, business and the local community.