The University takes fire safety in halls very seriously. Read our Fire Safety Statement for further information.
The fire alarm
If you hear the fire alarm, leave the building immediately and don't go back in until a member of staff tells you it's safe.We test our fire alarms every week. There's a notice in your halls that tells you the day we test them. You don't have to evacuate the building during testing unless the alarm sounds for more than one minute.
Fire safety regulations
- Make sure you evacuate the building straight away if you hear the fire alarm (unless it's the test day!)
- Don't tamper with fire safety equipment - you might need it one day!
- Be careful not to set the fire alarm off by accident. Steam or aerosol spray have been known to set them off!
- No smoking anywhere inside the halls building
- Do not leave cooking unattended.
If you don't follow our fire safety regulations you'll be fined. Fines start at £25 and double for each offence afterwards. We may also take further disciplinary action against you and you may have to leave your halls.