Information for parents
How to support your children at University
If your son or daughter is moving into halls this September you're probably wondering how you can help them settle into University life. Here are a few tips to get them prepared for independent living (and to help you not to worry too much!)
1. Get them to brush up on basic life skills like:
- using a washing machine
- doing the weekly shop
- learning to cook a few key dishes
- living on a budget
2. Make sure they're ready to move in.
- Have they booked an arrival slot?
- Do they know what to bring?
- Do they know where to go on arrival?
- Get them to go through the arrival checklist.
3. Maintain a positive attitude.
Have confidence in them but let them know it's perfectly normal to be a bit nervous.
4. Talk them through their finances.
How much they will be getting, what you'll be providing (if any) and when their fees need to be paid.
5. If your son or daughter requires additional support in halls please make sure we are aware of this.
6. Put these useful dates in your diary:
Term dates 2018/2019
Autumn term: Monday 17 September 2018 to Friday 21 December 2018
Spring term: Monday 7 January 2019 to Friday 12 April 2019
Summer term:Monday 29 April 2019 to Friday 19 July 2019
Halls payments due:
- 2 October 2018 - first instalment
- 15 January 2019 - second instalment
- 15 April 2019 - third instalment