In this section
Information for parents
How to support your children at University
If your son or daughter is moving into halls this September you're probably wondering how you can help them settle into University life. Here are a few tips to get them prepared for independent living (and to help you not to worry too much!)
1. Get them to brush up on basic life skills like:
- using a washing machine
- doing the weekly shop
- learning to cook a few key dishes
- living on a budget
2. Make sure they're ready to move in.
- Have they booked an arrival slot?
- Do they know what to bring?
- Do they know where to go on arrival?
- Get them to go through the pre- arrival checklist.
3. Maintain a positive attitude.
Have confidence in them but let them know it's perfectly normal to be a bit nervous.
4. Talk them through their finances.
How much will they be getting? what you'll be providing (if any) and when their fees need to be paid.
5. If your son or daughter requires additional support in halls please contact us immediately on 01332 594180.
6. Get them to put these useful dates in their diaries:
19 January - 24 April - Term 2.
- 15 January - Second hall fees payment due.
- 15 April - Third and final hall fees payment due.
- 27 April - 26 June - Main exam period.