Frequently asked questions for our halls of residence

How and when do I apply for halls?

You can apply for a room from November onwards, although most first years begin to apply from January onwards. Only those with a firm offer from Derby (unconditional or conditional) can apply for halls. You need to have accepted your offer from Derby as your first choice. After this allow a few days for us to update our data and then you can apply online. Please remember we allocate rooms on a first come first served basis so, if you have a preference for a hall or room type, apply as early as you can!

How much does it cost to live in halls?

Prices range from the cheapest for a standard room to the more expensive for a en suite premium plus room. There are also double en suite rooms in two bedroom apartments at Flamsteed Court, but these are aimed primarily at post-graduate or mature students.

2018-19 prices

What typical living costs can I expect?

It's important to know how much money you might have to spend and what you will have to budget for, so here are some of the common items to bear in mind:

 University hallsPrivately rented
Rent £105 to £140 £100
Gas and Electricity Included £9
Water Included £3
Food £40 £40
Toiletries £20 £20
Weekly total £165 to £200 £172
Yearly total (42 weeks) £6,930 to £8,400 £7,224


Will there be WiFi and a landline connection?

Yes. There will be WIFI and a landline connection.

Apart from my halls fees, what else will I need to pay for?

On top of your fees, you'll need to pay for laundry, food, course materials and your social life. Other things you may require that you'd need to pay for include parking, internet top ups, insurance top ups and TV licence. Remember as a student you’ll get free Unibus transport, so your travel costs should be minimal.

How safe are halls?

We aim to make our halls as safe as possible. There’s CCTV at every hall, each block is accessible by fob, each flat door locks by itself and each bedroom has a lock too. Security staff are on duty every night and there’s a 24 hour hall mobile number at every hall that you can phone in an emergency. There are also secure bike sheds at most halls which are free to use.

How far are halls from uni?

To find out how far the university sites are from each hall, please take a look at our halls pages.

How much is the Unibus service?

The Unibus is free to all students and staff at the University. Just use your student ID card when boarding the bus.

The Unibus provides a great service for everyone that links all the University of Derby sites, the main halls of residence, Derby city centre, Markeaton Park Park and Ride, Derby train station, supermarkets and the Royal Derby Hospital. More information and bus timetables

Can I bring a TV to halls?

Yes, if you want to bring a TV for gaming that’s fine. However, for viewing TV programmes we recommend you use your PC or laptop – it will give you a better reception than a TV and you will have free access to over 18 Freeview TV and radio channels.

Do I need a TV licence?

Anyone who watches live TV broadcasts or BBC programmes on iPlayer (live, catch up or on demand) in their room requires a TV licence. It doesn’t matter what device you watch it on. If you don’t have a licence and you do watch TV in your room you risk a fine of up to £1000 plus court costs.

More information on how to buy your licence

Can I have visitors?

Yes, you can have a visitor to stay for a maximum of two nights out of any seven. The only exception to this is on the first weekend when people move in as this can interfere with flatmates settling in together.

Before any visitors stay, you should fill in a Visitor Form and hand it in to the Hall Manager. It is also polite to let your flatmates know if you have someone staying.

How do I get my post?

Each flat has its own post box in or near the common room and you will be given a code or a fob to open it. Every time you get mail, you’ll receive it in your box. If you have a parcel delivered, you’ll receive a slip in your post box asking you to come and collect it from the office. There are allotted times every day when you can collect your parcels- check these with your Hall Manager.

What is there to do in Derby, and what's the nightlife like?

There is so much you can do in Derby, and most of it is just a short walk away from your halls! There are shops, restaurants, bars, clubs, cinemas, a museum and places to visit on days out. More information on what Derby has to offer

Are there shops near halls?

There are a lot of shops near to our hall communities including a Sainsbury’s Local and a Co-operative Food. Many of our halls have a large vending machine called ‘The Village Shop’. These machines are open 24 hours a day and have all your essentials in them: milk, bread, biscuits, sanitary products and more. They are all reasonably priced, and they accept cards too! Finally, the Intu shopping centre is just a short walk away.

Can I leave halls halfway through my contract?

You can usually only leave halls at certain times for the year, but you may incur costs depending on the situation and how far through your course you are. Find out more

What if I need to go on placement?

If you need to go on placement, more information about accommodation options and advice is available here.

Can I change or swap rooms?

A lot of people decide they want to change rooms for a number of reasons: room types, locations, flatmates, etc. If you feel that you'd like to enquire about a room swap, you can find out more here.

What if I don't get on with my flatmates?

See our tips on how to get on better with your flatmates, and what you can do if it's not working out.

What happens if I have noisy neighbours?

Noise affects everyone - local residents, your flatmates and other student residents. Being considerate about noise works both ways. You won't want to be kept awake when you've got an exam or coursework deadline, so think about others when you're staying up late too. We've got some tips about what to do if you're being disturbed by noise, and what you can do to keep the noise down.

Can I stay over Summer?

If you would like to stay in halls over the Summer, you can live in our Summer hall. Every year we allocate a hall for Summer stayers. Find out this Summer's hall

We recommend you apply for a Summer stay as soon as you know you need to stay during the Summer. The closing date for Summer applications is early June. Even if you already live in halls and you want to stay in halls over the Summer, close this gap even if it is for only one day after your current contract finishes, you will still need to apply online.

Do I have to empty my room for Christmas and Easter?

There is no need to move out and empty your room for the Christmas and Easter holidays. Although, if you are going home for the holidays it makes sense to take any valuables with you.

This year moving out day for most students is 30 June or 14 July for Flamsteed Court residents. Please vacate your room by 10am.

Most students will move out at the end of their 42 week contract (week 44 for Flamsteed Court).

What if I can't pay my rent?

We understand there can be times when juggling your budget can leave you with money issues. It’s perfectly normal to have money issues from time to time. Just don’t ignore things - face them head on.

What happens if I lose my keys?

Don't panic. If you lose your keys, please report it to a member of staff either in person or on the hall mobile.

They will replace your keys immediately. However if after a week, you still haven’t found them, we will charge you for a new set.

What do I need to do when I leave halls?

One of the most important things you can do when you leave halls is make sure everything is clean and tidy. That way you'll avoid unnecessary charges. Use our moving out checklist to make sure you've done everything you need to.

Where can I park when moving out?

If someone with a car is coming to help you move out, please be aware there is limited parking at each hall. Speak to your Hall Manager in advance, but it should be OK for them to come and temporarily park in any available space if there is one at the time.

How can I avoid extra charges?

When you move out, make sure you haven't left any of your property in your flat and try to leave your room clean and undamaged.

We'll check everything after you've left against the inventory you completed on arrival. If your room needs any extra cleaning or repairs we will have to charge you for them.

You MUST also make sure that all communal areas are clean and tidy before you leave and you may be charged if there is any damage or cleaning required once you have left. Student Living will base these charges on key return dates. The minimum charge per person is £25.

What happens if I am charged?

Student Living is entitled to charge you under the terms outlined in the Lettings Agreement. Your Hall Manager will write and let you know if you have incurred any charges.

Where can I live after my first year?

If you want to, you can live in halls again. Many second and third year students return to halls because they like the convenience, the all inclusive price and the special offers for returners. Returners usually apply with a group of friends in November, so if you’ve got friends you’d like to move in with in the second year, you can all apply together. If students want to live in private accommodation in their second and third years, we recommend they apply for University approved private accommodation which ensures you don’t find yourself battling to resolve maintenance issues.