Vinci Construction UK
Why VINCI chose not to underestimate existing employees
When VINCI, a world leader in construction, recognised that a UK-wide shortage of estimators could threaten its future growth, they wanted to do something about it fast, and approached us for help.
After laying solid foundations with plenty of research, we built a pilot programme that prepares employees for the estimating role, improving Vinci’s productivity and long-term stability.
In the construction industry, estimators determine if a project will be profitable and if it’s worth bidding for contracts, so they’re vital to the success of a company.
VINCI wanted a bespoke programme that would be:
- heavily work based and enabled delegates to apply their learning in the workplace
- a nationally recognised university qualification
- successful at improving attendees’ confidence, personal motivation and management competence, as well as their estimating skills.
After making several site visits to understand the roles and responsibilities of estimators right across the company, we created an accredited 36-week Advanced Diploma in Estimating.
Key features included:
- a project of their choice related to estimating within VINCI – this enabled delegates to develop practical, relevant skills and add value to the business
- a focus on individual, work based learning – supported by a work based mentor, employees could fit study around work commitments
- a training workshop for work based mentors – to help them support delegate
- 3, 1-week residential sessions.
"The programme had key added value as it related specifically to estimating within VINCI, giving an immediate return on investment".
Joanne Mercer, Head of Learning and Development at VINCI Construction UK