- Consultancy, knowledge transfer and research
- Training and professional development
- Academic partnerships
- Midlands Enterprise Universities
- Student and graduate talent
- Access to funding - Invest to Grow
- Starting a new business
- Conferences, events and facilities
- Tendering opportunities
- Clinical Services
- Funded Support for Business
- Human Performance Unit
- Contact us
Midlands Enterprise Universities - boosting our region’s economy
The Midlands Enterprise Universities (MEU) is a partnership that brings several institutions together to create a unique combination of skills, research expertise and facilities, which will be made available to businesses, organisations and local authorities in the East and West Midlands.
It was formed by the Vice Chancellors in 2016 in response to the Midlands Engine initiative to drive productivity and growth across the region.
The University of Derby has joined forces with six other Midlands universities; Birmingham City University, Coventry University, De Montfort University, University of Lincoln, Nottingham Trent University and the University of Wolverhampton.
Midlands Enterprise Universities' partnership has been created to drive productivity, economic growth and is uniquely placed to support the Midlands Engine for Growth, creating jobs and transforming lives.
MEU’s member universities are all major regional employers with a significant economic impact in the area. MEU leads the enterprise and entrepreneurship agenda in the Midlands, supported by strategic business links.
Driving productivity and growth across the Midlands through skills, innovation and enterprise
“Our mission is to support the Government’s ambition to grow our regional economy by £34bn by 2030, in partnership with the Midlands Engine for Growth.”
Working collaboratively with businesses of all sizes, MEU will increase productivity through applied research, innovation and knowledge exchange.
The University of Derby has a strong portfolio of facilities including Innovation Centres at Derby (IISE), Chesterfield Campus and a University Science Park incorporating the new iHub building and Economic Zone for industry, closely aligned to Midlands Engine sectors in:
- manufacturing, engineering and transport technologies
- agri-food and drink manufacturing
- health, life sciences and translational medicine
- energy and low carbon technologies
- creative digital and design
Using the collective expertise and facilities, MEU will work closely with the Midlands Engine to:
- offer flexible pathways to degrees and higher apprenticeships to fill higher level skills gaps in the Midlands
- develop further the employability and entrepreneurship of our students
- harness graduate talent by working with employers to retain graduates in the region
- stimulate and support research development, knowledge exchange, innovation and productivity in Midlands Engine priority sectors
- work in partnership with other universities, industry and other stakeholders to maximise our combined impact
- provide practical solutions to Government and Midlands Engine stakeholders to increase economic growth and prosperity in the Midlands
The collaboration will also work in support of the Local Enterprise Partnerships.